Proficy Machine Edition Inquiry

The part number for it is IC693AL390. That would make sense since we assumed the module was receiving power from the PLC. Just to make sure though, I just have a register that is being overwritten constantly (it acts as a temporary register) and that register's value is passed to the analog output channel 1, which is also rapidly changing because of the trigger. Does the value that I am outputting to the analog output channel have to be constant, or it can waver and still provide a reading to the oscilloscope. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

There is a 24VDC source on your power supply module that you can use to power the analog outputs. Connect DC+ to terminal 17 and DC- to terminal 19.

Whatever value is present in the %AQxxx memory location is what gets transmitted to the analog output module. If it varies, you'll see that variance on your scope.

We tried an external power supply, and we even forced a value of 32,000 into %AQ0001 just to test and see if a 10 V signal would show up (since the module is +/-10V range), but still nothing happened. What else can be done from here, or could it be the slot location or possibly even a bad module?

Did you include the module in your hardware configuration and download the configuration to the PLC?

In the absense of a configuration file, the 90-30 will assign an address based on the slot location of the module. The formula for analog output modles is 4 channels per slot (even though you have a 2-channel module), with the CPU module's slot counting. Thus, the CPU module slot would default to %AQ001 - %AQ004, the next slot to the right would be %AQ005 - %AQ008, the next %AQ009 - %AQ010, etc.

I have a configuration file for the module, the ok light is on, and the program is showing a value for AQ0001, so I don't think it's a configuration problem. So if I have the module in the 7th slot on the PLC, then it would be somewhere other than AQ0001, if I am understanding correctly. However, the module is configured and included on the rack, so if it is there, what could be done?

The PLC has to be running in order for the data in %AQxxx to show up at the module's output terminals.

The default addresses I gave you are what will be used in the absence of a configuration. If a configuration has been downloaded to the PLC, that configuration supercedes the default values.

If the module is in slot 7 then the default addresses for the two channels would be %AQ025 and %AQ026. You could try putting a value into %AQ025 to see if anything shows up at the terminals. If it does, you know the PLC does not have a configuration file.

When you are online with Logicmaster or Proficy software, it tells you whether the logic and configuration in the PLC is the same as that in the project file.

In Logicmaster, you start the configuration module and go online. There will be a message in the lower right hand corner of the screen that says either "Config Equal" or "Config not Equal". In the programming module, the message is "Logic Equal" or "Logic not Equal".

If Proficy, once you go online, there are messages related to both the logic and the configuration.

The "Equal" message indictaes that what is in the PLC matches what is in the project file. The "Not Equal" message indicates that they are not the same. In the latter case it is up to you to decide whether the correct approach to get to an "Equal" state is to download from the PC to the PLC or to upload from the PLC to the PC.

Last edited:
The GE software assigns addresses in two ways. One, with modules, as assigned to the IO. Is the module you have the ONLY one installed? If so, the first address would be AQ0001.

I don't think you have to watch for it with analogs, but with ethernet, it likes to assign the status file up in the IO section, so you have to change that sometimes.

It also allows you to select any address you want. Look at the module properties to make sure you are using the correct address.

Well I have an analog input module in the slot preceding the analog output module. This input module is a FOREIGN module that asks for addresses for both the %AI and %AQ. So for the input module, I put %AI001 and Length 8, and %AQ009, Length 8, because that is what I had to do in order to give the output module %AQ0001 as its reference address. Now, I don't know if it's possibly the foreign module's addressing that is affecting the output module, but I am putting this out there. Also, Steve, I checked the configuration settings and it has been Config Equal the entire time. So again, I can't seem to see what the problem could be.

Yes, I have Logicmaster.

Have you tried putting a value in %AQ002 and checking the other output channel?

The LED on the module only indicates that power is OK. It does not tell you anything about whether or not the output channels are good.

What terminals are you connecting the voltage probe to? Channel 1 is terminals 3 and 5. Channel 2 is terminals 4 and 6. The odd numbered terminals are the back row. The even numbered terminals are the front row.