problems with plc 5/40 go online

DanielABMCC

We received a repaired 1785-L40B PLC-5/40 processor series c from one of our other plants and I was trying to check it out to see if it was good to put it up in our stock. I stuck it in out test rack and was able to see the processor with Rswho, the light is red on the processor and it show a fault on Rswho. I tried toggling the key to program, run, remote and still has fault. I tried to go online, upload, and even tried downloading a simple sample program with no success. Each time I would do any of these actions I would receive this message, Online Processor is Read Protected! You must Log into a differnt Access Class to go Online. I tried using the password RW on each of the classes but could never go online. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Have you tried powering down and pulling the battery out? This will clear the program and return the processor to its default settings.

the light is red on the processor

Which light ? I presume you mean the "PROC" indicator. Is it steady red, or flashing ?

If removing the battery and cycling power does not return the controller to defaults, then it is assuredly damaged or defective.