Please help with basic Step7 setup!

whirlair

I have not worked with actual step7 before, only MicroWIN.

HOW DO YOU DO THIS!? This software is terrible.

I have a CPU315-2 DP with a few cards (I did get the hardware configuration to work) and a TP177B color PN/DP. All I need to do is have these communicate. I have mostly been trying to have the CPU and the TP177B communicate over DP. I setup the network in NetPro with the CPU having node address 2 for the first MPI port, and node 3 for the DP port. I then set the TP177B Profibus address to node 4. I get no communication. I also added the PG/PC thing to the network on MPI with address 30 and from what I understand this works as I can go online with CPU just fine.

No matter what settings I do I get no comms and cannot download my screens to the TP177B. There is like 30 places to put in the node address.

How do I set this up so my TP177B communicates and I can download to it? I don't even care if I have to unplug and move cables to do it (non-routing). A link to a walkthrough would be great. Or once I figure this out I will probably write one as I have been hacking at this for like 10 hours.

Thanks.

So the problem is the initial download of the project from WinCC Flexible to the TP177B ?

You probably have a catch-22 because the panel is default MPI at address 2, whereas you want to download via DP to at address 4.

I could instruct you how to download via DP, but I much prefer to suggest downloading via Ethernet.

For this to click you have to do these steps:
Start the panel, and go to the Control Panel (as in Windows Control Panel).
Go to Network and open the Properties of the network card. Set the IP address and Subnet. Be sure to select one that is reachable from your PC. Finish with OK.
Then go to Transfer and set Channel 2 to Ethernet, and also set Enable Channel and Remote Control. Finish with OK.
Reboot the panel.
When it powers up, connect your PC with an Ethernet cable, and use PING to check that the panel is reachable from your PC.
If OK proceed to download from WinCC Flexible.

Another thing:

Default MPI and DP node adresses are:
PG/PC = 0
HMI/OP = 1
PLC CPU = 2

With such a basic setup as yours, there is no reason to deviate from the defaults. That your CPU has MPI address 2 and DP adress 2 at the same time is no conflict. The MPI and DP networks are not directly connected.

Also, default for the DP port on the CPU is "not connected" which means that it is really shutdown. If it is still set to "not connected" it may account for some of your problems.
The MPI port may also say "not connected" but it will still be reachable via set MPI address.

On the TP177B should the MPI node address and the DP node address be the same? I was thinking this could be a conflict?

How do I active the DP port? I was hoping to have the TP communicate with the CPU over the DP port, and then I could be online with the CPU via the MPI port.

whirlair said:
On the TP177B should the MPI node address and the DP node address be the same? I was thinking this could be a conflict?
Not "should", only is so by default. And no, there cannot be any conflict. Look in the HW Config of the TP177B. You can only select one of the two modes for the MPI/DP port.

whirlair said:
How do I active the DP port? I was hoping to have the TP communicate with the CPU over the DP port, and then I could be online with the CPU via the MPI port.
It will be activated when you download the project from WinCC Flexible (*). I suggest you do that via Ethernet, so you are free to mess with the MPI/DP port as you like. Besides, ethernet is so much faster.
If you absolutely must download initially via DP, then the procedure is almost the same as for ethernet. Only you have to set Channel 2 = MPI/Profibus, and you must set the MPI/DP port to the desired Profibus settings in the S7-Transfer Settings applet.

edit:
*: Correction. It will then start to use DP for the online connection to the CPU.
But in order to download to the TP177B via DP or via Routing via the CPU and MPI, you have to set Channel 2 = MPI/DP.

Last edited:
JesperMP said:
Not "should", only is so by default. And no, there cannot be any conflict. Look in the HW Config of the TP177B. You can only select one of the two modes for the MPI/DP port.

It will be activated when you download the project from WinCC Flexible (*). I suggest you do that via Ethernet, so you are free to mess with the MPI/DP port as you like. Besides, ethernet is so much faster.
If you absolutely must download initially via DP, then the procedure is almost the same as for ethernet. Only you have to set Channel 2 = MPI/Profibus, and you must set the MPI/DP port to the desired Profibus settings in the S7-Transfer Settings applet.

edit:
*: Correction. It will then start to use DP for the online connection to the CPU.
But in order to download to the TP177B via DP or via Routing via the CPU and MPI, you have to set Channel 2 = MPI/DP.

Where is this at? Everything I can find just says MPI/DP. I have not found anything lets me chose the mode. Do I need the TP in the hardware config screen as well? The screen where I set up my CPU and rack?

Also, In WinCC the "Only master on the bus" box is checked. But it looks like the CPU x2 DP port is also showing as a master. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Well I finally got it to work. Thanks alot! I set the x2 DP port on the configuration to Master, then unchecked the TP "only master on bus" box and now it seems to work and I can download. However, rouing through the cpu to the TP does not work. Thanks again. This software is totally back-***-wards from AB which is what we typically use. Damn customers and their requests ;) .

Edit: I rechecked that box (both masters now???) and can now do routing as well. Thank you!

Last edited:
My bad. I assumed you had an integrated STEP7 project where both S7 PLC and TP177B are present. If that were the case there would be a hardware configuration similar to the S7 PLC.

I realise now you have a separate WinCC Flexible project.
In that case you go to the Connections in WinCC Flexible. The Interface will be set to MPI/DP and the Profile must be changed from MPI to DP.
A pitfall is that Rack and Slot MUST be set to Rack=0 and Slot=2. This doesnt happen automatically for a separate WinCC Flex project.

Generally it is much more advantagous to integrate the TP177B in the STEP7 project than to have separate projects. If you want to see how that looks like, then use the function Integrate in STEP7 Project in WinCC Flex.

whirlair said:
However, rouing through the cpu to the TP does not work. Thanks again.
It takes a few additional steps to do routing, so I suggest you just do it the normal way to begin with. As I said, I recommend Ethernet, it is a crying shame to think that the panel has ethernet and you dont use it.
And yes, good ol AB panels does routing via the CPU with no fuss. Siemens is not so intuitive as AB.

edit: In response to your edit. Oh it works ?!?
Er .. OK, I am glad I could help. I think.

Last edited:
JesperMP said:
My bad. I assumed you had an integrated STEP7 project where both S7 PLC and TP177B are present. If that were the case there would be a hardware configuration similar to the S7 PLC.

I realise now you have a separate WinCC Flexible project.
In that case you go to the Connections in WinCC Flexible. The Interface will be set to MPI/DP and the Profile must be changed from MPI to DP.
A pitfall is that Rack and Slot MUST be set to Rack=0 and Slot=2. This doesnt happen automatically for a separate WinCC Flex project.

Generally it is much more advantagous to integrate the TP177B in the STEP7 project than to have separate projects. If you want to see how that looks like, then use the function Integrate in STEP7 Project in WinCC Flex.

Well actually, I think it is integrated lol. That is what I am finding confusing. It appears to be integrated; "SIMATIC HMI Station" shows up in the explorer at the left side of the SIMATIC Manager. But when I goto hardware configuration screen (where the CPU rack is) I can't add the HMI station (as you would for adding slave Profibus devices). It won't let me. I do have it added in the NetPro window and the addresses configured; they appear to correspond with what is in WinCC (which opens when I click certain things from the SIMATAIC Manager that pertain to the HMI i.e. a screen). Weird stuff.

Last edited:
In this sample project, you can see the Configuration on the right side of the screen. Clicking on this will open the hardware configuration for the panel.

STEP7_sample_OPintegr.JPG

You shall not setup the TP177B in the configuration of the S7 CPU.
The TP177B is a DP master. Only if the TP177B was a DP slave and the 315 was its master, would you have set it up in the HW Config of the 315.

OK that is what I was missing then. I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to be configuring it from, the WinCC software, or the Step 7. Thanks a lot. This helped immensely.

hi jesper,my question is that:

my system components include:cpu414-3 dp(can routing),cp443-1,and tp177b 6".i use profibus connect the cpu with tp177b 6",and i want to download project to hmi use enthernet.but it fail.
is it possible for tp177b 6"?or it need use tp177b 4"?