PLC Market shares?

Tharon

When in college I took a couple PLC courses (which got me interested in them, and got me my current job). We used SLC500s and Panelviews. Near the end of the second course, my Professor said "Now, Allen-Bradley isn't the only PLC maker". And we spent about 1 week on a different system, I believe it was DirectLOGIC. It used X and Y instead of I and O.

Where I work now, we use A-B exclusively (SLC500s, MicroLogix, Picologix, ControlLogix). I've not seen a single machine using a non A-B PLC.

I was wondering if there were any stats on the what companies controlled what percents of the market.

(This kinda reminds me of when Fanuc came it to fix one of our robots, and saw that we had Motomans as well, he got kinda nervous).

Do a search of this site; this has been discussed several times before.

As you are in my neck of the woods, Siemens and Modicon have a small installed base with A-B being the big dawg probably due to the tremendous coverage from Mc&Mc and the local A-B folks.