Panelview component and RSlogix 5000

princedx

Hi All.
I am starting to investigate Panelview component and RSlogix 5000.
my question is :
what software i should use between Panelview component emulator and Panelview component designstation ?
can i test logic of rslogix 5000 vs panelview scada without hardware ? (it's like PLC S7300 and wincc siemmens )
thanks all

Use Emulator 5000 for running ur Rslogix 5000 program(Like S7 with PLC Sim)

Use FT View ME for creating Panel view Program & can be Simulated in ur pc( The ME runtime size will be based on the model ur choosing( Like Wincc Simulation )

Regards,
Nelliyan.G

The Panelview components aren't really designed to use with the logix processors.. They are low cost panels that live in the Connected component world, and are designed to attach to a micro. To use with a logix processor, u would need to uses the SLC tag mapping..

The panelview + panels (or 3rd party offerings...) are a better fit...

Thank for reply
Hi Lemming
if i use the SLC tag mapping to connect RSlogix 5000 and panelview component C1000
how can i test my screen with logic of RSlogix 5000 ( my mean is testing like Wincc and plc)
i know how to use Emulator 5000 to test Rslogix 5000.
by the way, if you have a sample about use SLC tag mapping or manual, pls give me for my investigation.
Thank You so much

If memory serves me correct, to use a PV Component to a Compact/Control logix processor, you have to use SLC mapping AND it only works via serial and not ethernet.

If you are going to do use a Logix5000 software, do yourself a big favor and buy a Panelview+ or swap to a 3rd party HMI that supports your processor.

The PanelView Component terminals are designed, tested, advertised, promoted, and sold to be used with Micro 800, MicroLogix, and SLC-500 family controllers.

PanelView Component terminals are specifically not designed, tested, advertised, promoted or sold to be used with ControlLogix and CompactLogix family controllers.

However, you can perform limited communications between a ControlLogix-family controller and the PanelView Component terminal using an RS-232 serial port and DF1 Full Duplex protocol as well as the Map PLC/SLC Messages feature in RSLogix 5000.

This communication is limited to Integer, Binary, and Floating-Point registers. Timers, Counters, and String datatypes are not supported by this method.

Emulate 5000 does support emulation of the Channel 0 serial port of a ControlLogix via a physical serial port on your computer.

The Map PLC/SLC Messages feature is well documented in the User Manuals and the Online Help, as well as in dozens of threads here on the Forum.

princedx said:
Panelview component and RSlogix 5000

You have been warned about the limitations of using PanelView Component terminals with Logix PACs. Unless you are trying to "cost effectively" display very limited data, at a relatively slow rate from the Logix controller, I would advise against marrying these two.

I would also not advise this setup as the best way to learn about PanelView Component terminal programming for the first time.

If this is the hardware you have to use for a project then here are some useful links from the AB Knowledgebase related to some general limits, and info on setting up the tag mapping you require...

50663 - PanelView Component Recommended Runtime Limitation for Customer Applications
Access Level: Everyone

70216 - PanelView Component Design Considerations

55209 - Connecting the PanelView Component to a ControlLogix or CompactLogix using a serial protocol

The attached excel spreadsheet in 55209 will outline the settings and addressing schema used to configure a PanelView Component terminal with a Logix controller.

princedx said:
...what software i should use between Panelview component emulator and Panelview component designstation ?...

As you appear to be new to programming PanelView Component (PVc) terminals, here's a rundown on the programming options...

508183 - Programming a PanelView Component

The Emulator is basically only for test viewing and navigating your application's screens. There is no option to connect to a controller, emulated or otherwise, to test tag interactions. I would not bother with it at all.

DesignStation can be used to develop applications, however, you can only validate them and then transfer them to the PVc.
You cannot test applications offline.
Applications can only be run on a physical terminal.

So, regardless of using RSLogix 5000 Emulate, you have no way to test a PVc application for proper tag updates with a Logix controller.

For small low budget applications, a PVc and Micro800 or MicroLogix may be sufficient. For a Logix based platform, you should do as advised and try to get at least a PanelView Plus, or better still a newer PanelView 6 Plus. If you are only doing this as a training exercise, and have a choice, within budget, then I would strongly advise this route.

I've never liked the PVc's, and have often referred to them as a "poor man's HMI". They're just slightly sub-standard in my opinion.

Regards,
George