OPC server for Allen Bradley CompactLogix 1769-L45

Hello,

PeakHMI has an embedded OPC server that can communicate with the CompactLogix.

If not AB/Rockwell what is the general price range of these cards?

The AB Program usually used for this is RSLinx. Not all RSLinx Versions will work as an OPC Server. You usually need a Licensed Version such as RSLinx Classic. If you are Communicating over Ethernet, you do not need additional Hardware.

What do you want Program to Communicate with the OPC Server.

Stu....

Wait, wait. Back up.

The 1768-L45 controller has a serial port, nothing more. All the communications modules are sold separately.

The most common one is the 1768-ENBT, for Ethernet. The 1768-CNBR module for ControlNet is also available.

OPC Servers are computer software that communicates with the controller over one of these network ports, then provides data to an OPC Client, which is typically visualization, trending, or data logging software.

RSLinx Classic is the most common OPC server used with any A-B controller, but there are dozens of others on the market.

What exact network modules do you have, and what is the intended software client ?

We are trying to integrate an AB Compactlogix PLC into a Siemens MES Network. For the connection to our Process Controls System our Siemens PLC (master) would communicate to AB (slave) by modbus over TCP/IP.

That's very helpful information !

I don't see a role for OPC here; if you are communicating from a Siemens controller to a Rockwell controller, what you need is a bridge module of some type.

You have expressed a desire to use Modbus/TCP, so the simplest way to fulfill that is to put a Modbus/TCP module in the CompactLogix controller.

The most straightforward modules for this purpose are from Prosoft Technology. In fact, they've recently released a higher-performance, lower-cost enhanced Modbus module for the CompactLogix platform, so ask them about an "enhanced" MVI69-MNET module similar to this existing one:

http://www.prosoft-technology.com/p...utomation/platform/compactlogix__1/mvi69_mnet

There are a handful of other mechanisms to exchange data between an MES system and a Rockwell controller, or between Rockwell controllers and Siemens controllers.

Post more details and you can get more recommendations.

Thanks for the reply Ken! I was looking at the prosoft module too! But it does not understand OPC, am i right? Will that pose a problem to my integration?

Also, Does the Prosoft have a distinct advantage over standard Rockwell/AB cards was also a question on my mind.

Well, As Ken said, If you'd like the MES to talk to the PLC via Ethernet, You would probably use a 1768-Ethernet card(1768-ENBT or -EWEB).

Then for OPC you have a wide range of options.
The ones i've used personally -
Does your MES support OPC-UA? Inductive Automation offers a free OPC-UA server that talks to the AB line nicely.
Kepware and Matrikon both offer OPC-UA/DA servers, for a nominal cost.
RSLinx is also an option if you have a licensed copy of course.

If you wanted to go directly from the MES system to the CompactLogix, the most likely method would be to use an OPC Server: it speaks OPC to the MES system, and speaks the RA EtherNet/IP protocol to the CompactLogix.

Because you're describing a controller-to-controller connection, using a mutual third-party protocol, OPC isn't involved. This is Siemens controller -> Modbus/TCP protocol -> Prosoft Module -> A-B Controller.

There are pros and cons to each method.

There aren't any native A-B modules for the 1768 CompactLogix family that speak Siemens or Modbus/TCP protocols.