need serial to ethernet converter

ievko82

I am replacing a non functioning e.w.o.n cosy 141 that is converting serial communications of a compact logix to ethernet. Any recommendations on a new converter would be much appreciated.

The e.w.o.n. doesn't just convert Ethernet to Serial, it also gives remote access over the Internet via a VPN connection. Are you looking for something that still gives a VPN connection, or just a simple Ethernet Serial Server that will work over your LAN?

I belive a simple server would do. Honestly I'm really new to any networking stuff and I'm trying to learn all that I can.

I imagine that we used the cosy 141 with the VPN because we used to have a company that monitored the machine being run by this plc, but we no longer use their services. I simply just need somthing that will allow me to go online with the plc over our network.

There is an engineer that would possibly have to access this plc remotely if needed. Would it be wise to stick with a vpn in that case?

I imagine that we used the cosy 141 with the VPN because we used to have a company that monitored the machine being run by this plc, but we no longer use their services. I simply just need somthing that will allow me to go online with the plc over our network.

There is an engineer that would possibly have to access this plc remotely if needed. Would it be wise to stick with a vpn in that case?

The Cosy 141 can do that for you without the serial-to-ethernet step.
Like this:
Your office PC (ecatcher VPN Client) -- (intenet) -- (Talk 2m server) -- (on-site WAN connection) -- (Cosy VPN Server) -- (on-site LAN) -- (PLC)

I use Moxa N-Port 5110 serial converters.

They setup on my computer as a normal serial port, RSLinx OR the AdvancedHMI application can connect just like it was plugged into the serial port on the PC.

I said OR because as a local serial port it can only be used by one program or PC at a time and if the serial adapter is being used by a program on one computer it can't be accessed by another computer, but if not presently being used can be attached to by any PC on the network.

I have used this to replace the old Rockwell 1761-net-eni for serial comms.
Digi One IAP Family Part Number:70001777

https://www.digi.com/products/models/70001777

One benefit of still using the NET-ENI is multiple clients can message or program the PLC at the same time.

Connecting with RSLogix while a HMI is in use is possible, where a serial adapter (at least the ones I have used) get 'attached' to whatever connects to it and nothing else can connect at that time.

My home automation system I have 3 NET-ENI's on a 5/04 and 2 5/03's messaged to by the main 5/05 and 2 HMI's (1 PC based and 1 windows tablet both running AdvancedHMI)

They setup on my computer as a normal serial port, RSLinx OR the AdvancedHMI application can connect just like it was plugged into the serial port on the PC.

I said OR because as a local serial port it can only be used by one program or PC at a time and if the serial adapter is being used by a program on one computer it can't be accessed by another computer, but if not presently being used can be attached to by any PC on the network.

Thank you for the info, the moxa nport seems like somthing I'd be interested in. I've been able to do everything I've needed lately with just a serial cable hooked up to the computer so I don't think the limitations of the nport will be a problem at all.

I did contact e.w.o.n and they suggested a flexy 202 with a Wan extension card. I don't need the VPN that the flexy provides since my companies IT dept handels that ,and for the price I belive most of the flexys features would go unused.

I appreciate the info from everyone. Like said before I'm new to the whole networking aspect, but hope to learn alot in the future.

I dont understand why you guys keep pursuing the serial connection to the PLC.
The PLC has Ethernet and you have a VPN from outside to the onsite provided by IT.

edit: My bad, the L31 only has serial ports. I get it now.

I received my nport 5110 ive set it up on Realcom operation mode. when I go to the port mapping portion I don't understand which port I need to set it to.

I received my nport 5110 ive set it up on Realcom operation mode. when I go to the port mapping portion I don't understand which port I need to set it to.

The COM port number can be any unused port from 1 to 256, but some programs are limited to the number they will go up to (some only 4 or 8) so I try to keep 4 or under.

Just make sure you hit the Apply button. Then the Moxa should show up in Device Manager as a local port.

Capture.JPG