ML 1400 integration with Conzerv Energy meter

Hi,

I am trying to integrate ML1400 with conzerv energy meter EM6436...
Through Net AIC adapter...I am getting a error message of "Time out in local processor".. please help me..

Just to Open the Ball and Get the Comments Rolling....

Looking on the Internet at the Conserv EM6436 Energy Meter, it is a sophisticated device and probably has some large User Manuals that will need to be studied to find out how to interface it with WHATEVER device required.

This project will require studying both the EM6436 and the ML1400 communications protocol to figure out a common language. Then your ML1400 will need a program written to DO SOMETHING with the data from the EM6436.

The "Time out in local processor" error seems to by saying that your processor is NOT communicating with the EM6436, assuming that you have the proper cable connected between the proper comm ports, and that each device is set to send and receive data on those ports.

Last edited:
Modbus? Hmmm...unless the EM6436 can work with only a Modbus RTU Master device, then that may be a problem. The MicroLogix 1400 user program will need to use Message instructions to read and write Modbus data.

From the Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1400 Reference Manual:
The controller initiates read and write messages through available communication channels when configured for the following protocols:
• DH-485
• DF1 Full-Duplex
• DF1 Half-Duplex Master
• DF1 Half-Duplex Slave
• DF1 Radio Modem
Modbus RTU Master
• Ethernet

If a Channel configured for Modbus Master is selected in the Channel field of the Message Setup Screen, the following Modbus Command options will become available:
• 01 Read Coil Status (0xxxx)
• 02 Read Input Status (1xxxx)
• 03 Read Holding Registers (4xxxx)
• 04 Read Input Registers (3xxxx)
• 05 Write Single Coil (0xxxx)
• 06 Write Single Register (4xxxx)
• 15 Write Multiple Coils (0xxxx)
• 16 Write Multiple Registers (4xxxx)

Modbus RTU Master Configuration
Select the Modbus RTU Master from the Channel Configuration menu as shown
below.

The Baud defaults to 19200.
The Control Line can be configured as:
• No Handshaking
• Full-Duplex Modem (RTS on)
• Half-Duplex Modem (RTS/CTS handshaking).
• No Handshaking (485 Network)
The Protocol Control defaults are:
• No Handshaking
• InterChar. Timeout = 0
• Pre Transmit Delay = 0.

When the system driver is Modbus RTU Master, the following communication
port parameters can be changed:
TIP: In order to connect directly to an RS-485 Modbus network, use a 1763-NC01 cable and configure the Control Line setting for No Handshaking (485 network).

Last edited:
Devices on MODBUS, such as meters and the like, are usually always slaves and if a bit more sophisticated will also act as masters.

Found this...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=70992

This poster has already set it up with an ML1400 and is receiving data from it. It sends a 32bit Float value, as a lot of meters do, which you would read MSG into 2 16bit N registers. Then CopyWord(CPW) them into a single Float(F). As Ken pointed out, the Byte and Word order may not be correct from the meter to controller, so you may have to swap the 2 words, OR, shuffle the 4 Bytes, yes trial and error! Some meters allow you to Byte swap in their own configuration. Check the manual for this.

Pity the OP in that other thread didn't get back to Ken.
Anyway, we'll await the OP's return here and hopefully this time we'll get a resolution.