Logix5000 & Modbus (slave) over ethernet

Yeah, that thing looks really good, and I'll likely get one to experiment with. This project boards a container ship in 6 days, so the time to try new solutions is ended. I've gotta convince my angry boss that i need a prosoft card, and I'll call Prosoft to ensure that the Prosoft card for CompactLogix is compatible with the ******* child CompactLogix L23E.

If the OP is looking to have a PC read data from the CompactLogix, this can be done directly using an OPC Data Server. The software most commonly used is RSLinx, but you can also use Kepware or Ingear.

You really having attention problems:
Yeah, now that I have a CompactLogix -EWEB in my hands, I notice it's not compatible with my CompactLogix processor.
Check post #8 above I clearly stated that EWEB will not work with L32E

Bottom line- if you need Modbus TCP - use Prosoft card.
I don't, i need the data, via ethernet. It's just coming into the PLC via modbus, and physical inputs.
Modbus over Ethernet called Modbus TCP. You do need Prosoft card or any other solution offered.

Mark
I think there are several thing going on here that maybe causing you problems. You are refering to an L23E this is the little baby brother in the logix family (lower cost for a reason). As mentioned before AB plcs only speak AB protocols, or Ethernet IP natively. These are the languages (protocol) that they speak. Most devices that speak ethernet use a RJ45 port just like most of us use our mouth to speak. If you can't speak Spanish but have to go to Mexico you need something or someone to bridge the gap. They speak out there mouths just like you do so why can't you understand Spanish? Because it is a different language (insert protocol). Modbus TCP and Ethernet IP are both languages that are spoken over the RJ45 cable. So you have to have a translator Prosoft just happens to make them in a chassis, rack, or just about any other flavor you can think of, mounted version for AB plc.

*************Warning I have not tried these. I have only asked about these small CompactLogix***************

If my memory is correct you can have 2 I/O cards on the side of these units or 1 communication card. So if you have any other cards make sure you verify be fore spending cash for it.

I like RTA (Real Time Automation), or Redlion G3. With the RTA I had a ASCII 232C serial to AB Ethernet IP connection up and running in less then 15 minutes. Very easy to use. The Redlion G3 maybe able to bridge all of you units in 1 package. Take all the 485,422,232, & Ethernet stuff into 1 unit and you have it all done in less than a day. Both companies have great support.