Legacy Panelview Migration

HJTRBO

Hi all,
We have 42 Panelview installed on site, and about the same again with Omron. The AB units range from the old school 600 on DH485 up to the new PV+6.
After experiencing trouble sourcing backlights for our older panelviews we have made the decision to implement a staged migration to the new PV+6 platforms over the next couple of years.
Half of the installed panelviews are on our DH+ networks. We cannot order a PV+6 logic module with legacy network options so we must implement Ethernet. It is not possible to upgrade everything at once. It's hard enough to get funding for 40 panelviews, so I don't think I will get the money to do the the 20 or so SLC 5/04's we have as well so we are searching for E/IP to DH+ gateway. This will buy us a few years to budget for the removal of the DH+ networks and subsequent PLC upgrades, plus has the added bonus of ensuring our new panelviews are "Ethernet Ready".
I have found that Prosoft makes a gateway device.
http://www.prosoft-technology.com/Products/Gateways/EtherNet-IP/EtherNet-IP-to-Allen-Bradley-Remote-I-O-or-DH-Gateway
The application example is to replace a remotely located Panelview standard on DH+ with a PV+6 on Ethernet. The DH+ cable will be removed from the back of the outgoing panelview and inserted into the gateway module along with the incoming PV+6's ethernet port.
Has anyone used the Prosoft module (or other) for this purpose before?
Cheers, NP

Dear HJTRBO,

The PanelView Plus 6, 7" and larger still support DH+ and DH-485 via the 2711P-RN6 (which you now order separately.)

The PanelView Plus 6, 4" and 6" can be used on DH-485 by connecting the serial port to a 1761-NET-AIC.

As far as the Prosoft gateway you linked to, I do have one setup in my office as a gateway. It looks identical to a 1756-ENBT/DHRIO gateway in RSLinx. Unfortunately, I was reminded this week that RSLinx Enterprise never supported Ethernet to DH+ routing, so to use this Prosoft device with your PVPlus as you describe would require additional configuration which I haven't tested yet, but should be detailed on Prosoft's website.

Hope this helps,

The PanelView Plus 6, 7" and larger still support DH+ and DH-485 via the 2711P-RN6 (which you now order separately.)

I didn't know that. I will look into it further tomorrow.

As far as the Prosoft gateway you linked to, I do have one setup in my office as a gateway. It looks identical to a 1756-ENBT/DHRIO gateway in RSLinx. Unfortunately, I was reminded this week that RSLinx Enterprise never supported Ethernet to DH+ routing, so to use this Prosoft device with your PVPlus as you describe would require additional configuration which I haven't tested yet, but should be detailed on Prosoft's website.

I will explore this option further.

I appreciate your comments.

NP

Shawn Tierney, thankyou. The RN6 is good for me for the handful of larger panels we have.

Unfortunately the remaining 17 PV's on DH+ are 550's and 600's. Alot of those panels are remote from the PLC. Do I have further options aside form trying to get the Prosoft module working?

Thanks all, NP

Last edited:
The best solution I can think of is to use a device that is equivalent to the old Allen-Bradley 1770-KF2, which is a DF1 to DH+ interface.

I am hesitant to steer business to either one of the vendors who make those, but you'll find that the EquusTek DL-3500 and the Datalink GW1000-DHP both emulate the functionality of the old 1770-KF2.

While I recommend caution and diligence with either device, I think you will be better served by the EquusTek unit.

Ken Roach, thank you for your impartial comments. We have an appropriate budget for a pilot project so I will look very closely at the options you have suggested.
Depending on how we all get it working I will keep this thread updated in due course so that others can benefit.
Thanks, Nathan