Kinetix 5100 Programming

null_BROdem

Hello all!

I am trying to integrate a Kinetix 5100 servo drive into a shipping system. I am upgrading from a Ultra 3000 drive, and the purpose of this drive is to create a gap between packages that are coming down the merge lane onto the sorter. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the kinetix servo to create a gap. I am using Logix5000 to program this. If anyone has any information on how I can go about solving this it would be greatly appreciated.

If you have two consecutive conveyors, and you need to create a gap in the items passing from them, you can have a speed ratio between them to accomplish this.

You can calculate your desired part throughput, and calculate the ratio of the input and output conveyors. You can either increase the fed conveyer's speeds or decrease the feeding conveyer's speed to accomplish this.
Keep in mind that the parts shipped per unit time muse be the same, otherwise you'll get buffers to fill up.

Regards,
-PreLC

The K5100 was designed to be a standalone indexer, basically a replacement for the K300. It doesn't use the motion suite in Logix for control. It is connected as an I/O instance like a VFD would be.

We haven't used the K5100 here yet and we may never. Our distributor talked us out of one of them in favor of a K5300 because the commissioning and interface can get a tricky with the K5100. Also, I'm not sure if the K5100 can support superimposed moves, which would make things easy.

In a perfect world that is what I would do. I would gear into the upstream conveyor and then trigger an index to occur on top of the gearing to create a gap. I'm just not sure if the K5100 is up to the task.

Keith