Infrared scanner

I’ve seen IR pictures at seminar provided by FLIR and my company couple times did IR survey as well. I’ve just start working for this plant. We produce extrusion coated wovens and diverse multi layer laminated reinforced plastic substrates. Several 500 HP and lot of 200 HP motors, lot of heaters to melt plastic resin.

The idea to buy IR camera comes from mechanical engineer so he is planning to scan mechanical stuff as well. FLUKE might be not possible to integrate into existing PM software.

In my guess, for the plant like Toyota, for example, it’s Ok if everything nice and neat. For us, I think, would be better to organize everything nice and neat first. Cabinets and panels suppose to have as-built drawings inside, wire ends should be labeled. Cables and conduits proper tied in connectors. After that done I would install SCADA. Finally - IR predictive monitoring.

At my previous installation job we couldn’t pass any commission if we miss a couple of labels. I’ve never worked for a plant before. May be it is a normal working environment or is it unique?

I agree with you guys, Thermal imaging equipment was so costly or having a third party to do the job, but we can try to use another alternative. Why don't you use Infrared Temperatture Gun? This is more cheaper to and can be use in other job also (ACU, generator and motor bearings..etc). Just point the gun in the wire connection and compare it with the others..