Industrial PC with multi-touch, for Indusoft

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Howdy, folks,

I have an application where I need a panel PC with a multi-touch touchscreen that can run Indusoft Web Studio. Ideally it would run Windows Embedded, or Windows 7 Professional.

The application has one really important screen where the operator sets the angular position for the machine, and I need the multi-touch to be smooth and accurate. Operators are accustomed to doing this sort of thing on iPhones and it needs to be at least that good.

This is a small application (10" would be ideal) and does not require high environmental ratings; it's in a commercial environment where finger grease is the harshest contaminant.

Any panel PC / multi-touch success stories out there ?

The Advantech that I just used is awesome, but it doesn't have multi-touch.
I was trying to pinch - zoom a pdf and it didn't work. A usb mouse/keyboard works perfectly of course.

They offer a ton of models, so it's very possible the panel I'm using doesn't support it or I missed a setting or function. Might have to double check with your vendor to confirm the multi-touch is available!

I had Win 7 Pro put on mine - no issues there

Advantech is the industry leader in a lot of ways, but I don't have a history with them and have never used one with multi-touch, thus the question.

I did a project with a nice Dell 22" HDMI monitor with a USB connected touchscreen and its multitouch worked brilliantly with IWS 8.0. But I can't have one of those in this application.

Maybe the only way to be sure is to get one and test it. I'm looking at some Axiomtek units now that say they have multi-touch capacitive touchscreens, starting with the GOT5103 models.

Sometimes feature sets surprise you; an A-B PanelView Plus 6.0 supports swipe to turn pages inside the FoxIt PDF reader, but doesn't support swipe actions in anything else.

On advantech it obviously depends on the installed driver. I just bought 3 and they don't have multi touch. However, I bought one a few months back that did. It seemed to work great. However, I wasn't able to disable right click so I had to install another driver to fix right click, which then disabled multi touch. The reason I had to disable right click is for long presses like jog. So, that will be the challenge, finding a driver that works for both, unless right click isn't an issue.

I'm sure calling advantech will answer a few questions you have.

James

Beckhoff makes various models of multi-touch panel PCs. The smallest size is either 11.6" or 12" screen.