In over my head (ladder logic) Horner PLC, serial Barcode scan

Rung 5, grid positions 11/I and 12/I, should be transferring the data, which was read from the scanner and placed in [%R00100 through %R00127] by the RECV instruction, both to [%R00300 through %R00427] and to [%R00500 through %R00627].

I notice the TON has a 0.1s in it; that should be 0.01s, IIRC, so the timer expires after a quarter-second (twenty-five 0.01s steps), not after two and a half seconds (twenty-five 0.1s steps), although that may not matter.

I see those now... Now if i can get it to pass a good code.

Rung 5, grid positions 11/I and 12/I, should be transferring the data, which was read from the scanner and placed in [%R00100 through %R00127] by the RECV instruction, both to [%R00300 through %R00427] and to [%R00500 through %R00627].

I notice the TON has a 0.1s in it; that should be 0.01s, IIRC, so the timer expires after a quarter-second (twenty-five 0.01s steps), not after two and a half seconds (twenty-five 0.1s steps), although that may not matter.

Update: if the scanner sends another code before the timer expires (2.5s after the last code), then the [RX Count => RX_Cnt] may continue to increment, which will keep the timer from ever completing, so maybe that 0.1s/0.01s is the problem.

Yes, the serial example given in the Horner Automation YouTube (see this link) has 0.01s in the TON.

The devil is in the details.

Not Voila?

What is the difference between a 16-inch viola and an 18-inch viola? The 18-inch viola holds more beer and burns longer.

If you throw a 16-inch viola and an 18-inch viola off a tall building at the same time, which one hits the ground first? It doesn't matter.

What is the difference between a viola and a washing machine? The washing machine has vibrato.

Why are violas bigger than violins? They're not; it just looks that way because the violinist's heads are bigger.

Not Voila?

What is the difference between a 16-inch viola and an 18-inch viola? The 18-inch viola holds more beer and burns longer.

If you throw a 16-inch viola and an 18-inch viola off a tall building at the same time, which one hits the ground first? It doesn't matter.

What is the difference between a viola and a washing machine? The washing machine has vibrato.

Why are violas bigger than violins? They're not; it just looks that way because the violinist's heads are bigger.

Haha! Nice catch, lol... I will go with the 18in Viola since its getting cold here in Michigan, Going to have to heat the house soon. :)

Last edited:
Was the 0.1s vs. 0.01s TON part of the problem?

I cannot confirm nor deny this... I believe it was though.

I had a couple last minute hurdles, Failed prox switch, used controller not always booting-up correctly without self-test errors. It does reliably verify the code and reject any other incorrect length or last two characters not "BC".

Again, Thanks for the working with me ;)

I cannot confirm nor deny this... I believe it was though.

Well, change it back to 0.1s to test it and see, fer Pete's sake ;)!

OT, from possibly the funniest episode of Cosby:
On a 4-seat plane, passengers are Hilton (Bill Cosby), a surgeon who (William Shatner) "has to get these hands to Nashville", and Griffin (Doug E. Doug). The pilot is not feeling well from "summat he et" before they took off.

Bill Cosby: What did you give the pilot?

William Shatner: An antacid ... or a very strong sedative. Was it a red pill or a green pill?

Bill Cosby: He's passed out!

William Shatner: Now we'll never know!

Bill Cosby: When they recover our bodies after this plane crashes, theyr'e going to find my hands around your neck!​