HMI Manual control preference

Snap25

Lifetime Supporting Member
Do you simply use the valve or pump graphic to toggle on/off in manual mode or do you build a control faceplate that is prompted when you push the certain valve/pump?

What is standard?

It depends upon the capability of the particular HMI, but I typically use a pop-up window with dynamically assigned indirect addressing for such controls.

Have a separate start button and stop button. You don't want any feedback problems to cause the user to start something when they mean to stop it.

Whether to have these buttons on the main screen or in a faceplate is a design decision based on a mixture of:
Is starting and stopping the equipment one of the main things the operator does?
Is it the normal method, or do they usually switch it to auto and they start / stop automatically?
Do you care about mispresses?
Will the number of start stop buttons I need crowd the graphics?
What feels right?

For larger systems you will have either faceplates on the overview screen, or you have to drill down to screens focusing on smaller sections of the plant to control the pumps and valves for that one. What is great is having specific screens for different stages of the process, like a startup screen, a monitor process screen, a change products mid production screen, and a shutdown screen.

On smaller systems having all the controls and indicators on the one screen can make it easier. It is hard to define the crossover point. My favourite "all the controls and indicators on one screen" jobs actually break it up into a control area and an indicator area, so all your buttons are in the one place rather than scattered throughout the screen. This also helps to know what controls are available to you.

I have a personal preference for bluey grey buttons with a grey border. Rounded rectangles for all buttons except stop buttons which are octagonal. Sales people and purchasing don't like this so much though unless you can give them a spiel about high performance graphics. I am considering having a button to switch between salesman mode and operator mode.