GE Fanuc Versa Max Micro and Quick panel mini

graffelf

Hi, I am looking for some help with a GE Fanuc Versa Max Micro Controller model IC200UDR001-BF connected to a Quickpanel mini display CQPM3D200B2P-A Model 1880052-01 The units are around 2004 models.
They are used on a high-pressure air compressor to fill air bottles at a volunteer fire dept. We got it free from another department. Just recently, it would not start, and an air compressor tech said it looks like the plc or quickpanel is bad, but he doesn't know how to work on the plc or display. The company that installed the components is out of business and we can't find anyone that works on this type of unit in our area. We live in a rural area of south Louisiana. I would like help in getting the software for both so I can troubleshoot the problem and find out which one is defective. I have very limited experience with plc's but am willing to give it a try if I get some direction. I do have a laptop and I know I will need some cables to connect. If anyone can guide me thru this, I would be greatly appreciative. We are on a fixed budget being an all-volunteer fire dept. It seems like the start command is not getting to the plc or if it is, the plc is not sending an output to the contactor.
Thanks, Louis

Attachments

• IMG_2408.JPG
    IMG_2408.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2131.JPG
    IMG_2131.JPG
    316.3 KB · Views: 6
The software you need is called PAC Machine Edition from Emerson. Emerson bought the GE PLC product line several years ago. Your local distributor might be willing to set you up with the software. It will run for four days fully functional without a license. You will also need the option to program the HMI. Many GEXPRO (formerly known as GE Supply) locations carried the product line when GE still had it and most of them continue to carry it under the Emerson brand.
From the picture you posted, the PLC is running. When you took the picture none of the outputs were being turned on. Unfortunately, you will have to disconnect the HMI cable to connect the computer running the PLC programming software, it will be difficult to tell if the HMI is communicating.

Thanks Steve, I will look into getting the software. I noticed that there is a connection port on the Quickpanel If I get the correct cable would I be able to see if it is sending an output to the plc?
Thanks again, Louis

The easiest way to see if the QP is trying to talk to the PLC would be if you had a cable with LEDs built-in that indicate signal traffic on the wire. Unfortunately none of the standard cables for the connection have anything like that. The next easiest is to connect the QP to a computer running a serial terminal program like Hyperterminal. It doesn't matter that you won't be able to make any sense out of the HMI is sending. The fact that is sending anything means it's still functioning.
I'm pretty sure the other port on the HMI is strictly for upload/download of the application file.