Explosion proof inverter?

ckchew666

Hi,

Has anyone come across an explosion proof standard inverter??

In order to use the inverter in explosion proof environment, I think we've to get the ex panel rather than the inverter, right??

Please advise.

ckchew666 said:
Hi,

Has anyone come across an explosion proof standard inverter??

In order to use the inverter in explosion proof environment, I think we've to get the ex panel rather than the inverter, right??

Please advise.

You could try Danfoss & Lenze Inverters!!!o_O

Yes, get an Ex Panel but make sure the panel is correct for the Zone classification you are working in.

check sthal ; i have seen some i.s. switchgear but i am not sure about inverters. i would go for an eexd j.b.

Kevin Jimenez said:
ckchew, What classification do you need? (i.e. Class I,II,III, Div. I,II,.?)

Hi,

I'm sory, I'm new to these Explosion proof standard. The explosion proof standard is not measure in something like Exe3?

What's the diff bet Exe3 & Class 1 Div 2 (I know most of the AB PLC has this C1 D2)

ckchew666 said:
Hi,

I'm sory, I'm new to these Explosion proof standard. The explosion proof standard is not measure in something like Exe3?

What's the diff bet Exe3 & Class 1 Div 2 (I know most of the AB PLC has this C1 D2)

Class 1 is for Gas explosion
Class 2 is for Dust explosion
Class 3 is for Fiber explosion ( Ex. fiber of cotton, etc. ):nodi:

Be careful this paper is talking about putting MOTORS in explosive areas. The inverter is in a safe area. The inverter has to be suitable for the eX rated motor with regards to preventing overtemperatures. Nearly all of our jobs involve eX rated motors and VFDs (in safe areas). If you are actually wanting to put a VFD in a explosive area then that is different and will require a explosion proof enclosure for the VFD. The enclosure and motor will have to be certified for the zone it is in and the VFD will have to be certified for use with the motor.

I know of NO inverter that is specifically rated for explosion proof environments.

I am aware of enclosures that you install inverters into that are rated for explosion proof enviroments. The glands used for cable penetration must also be rated for explosion proof.

One problem for explosion proof enclosures are that they retain the heat. Every explosion proof inverter cabinet I have seen usually has an explosion proof heat exchanger/air-conditioner installed for heat control too.

Leadfoot said:
I know of NO inverter that is specifically rated for explosion proof environments.

I am aware of enclosures that you install inverters into that are rated for explosion proof enviroments. The glands used for cable penetration must also be rated for explosion proof.

One problem for explosion proof enclosures are that they retain the heat. Every explosion proof inverter cabinet I have seen usually has an explosion proof heat exchanger/air-conditioner installed for heat control too.

Hi,

Yeah, u made a good point on the heat issue as well. Thx.

Leadfoot said:

If let's say the explosion proof environment currently has controlLogix (Class 1 Div2) running, we can put in AB Inverter as long as they are Class 1 Div 2 compliance? Let's say the panel is explosion proofed. Thx.

Normal practice with hazardous exposures is to place the motor in the hazard and place the switchgear and VFD in a safe area even if its some distance away from the motor.

This is driven, not be any technical issue, but by simple economics. XP rated motors are pricey but not outlandishly expensive. Putting an inverter in an XP enclosure and dealing with all the heating/cooling and remote control issues is frightfully expensive and is to be avoided if at all possible. I've seen motor leads approaching 800 feet long just to avoid xp-rating the drive.

One other common mistake: a motor with an XP label on the nameplate is NOT acceptable for use on an inverter. It MUST have an XP label WITH VARIABLE SPEED INVERTER LIMITATION DATA. This label will specify max and min speeds, current limit settings, and non-sinusoidal power (PWM).