Electrostatic precipitator

Steve Bailey

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
The boondocks of Western Massachusetts USA
I have been asked to convert the PLC on an electrostatic precipitator to something more current. I have everything I need to do the program translation. However, in the interest of exceeding the customer's expectations, I was wondering if anyone here is up to date on the current best practices in the field.

The existing program controls the plate rapping cycle, it constantly seeks the optimum voltage level for each field, and it controls fault annunciation. The system was originally installed in 1990.

This project is limited to replacing the PLC. There will not be any new mechanical components. Are there any new control techniques that have been developed over the last 16 years? If so, can anyone provide any links to where I might find information on the current state of the art.

Hi Steve,

We use BHA's (now GE's) SQ-300 precipitator controller for control of electrode voltage, spark suppression etc. We use the Windac to control the rapping sequence. Both are referenced at the following page.
http://www.bhagroup.com/site_map.asp

Although the links to the SQ-300 and Windaq are not working.

Personally the rapping sequence would be an ideal PLC application in my opinion but the voltage controller would be a LARGE challenge. These SQ-300 ramp up the voltage until they see a current limit or sparking. They then have to kill the spark before damage results and then ramp back up. If you need more info on these products I have hardcopy manuals buried somewhere.
These were installed a little over 10 years ago and are very current compared to most of our equipment.

Brian.

edit:
found SQ-300 info on GE site.
http://www.gepower.com/prod_serv/products/particulate_matter/en/prec_eccs/sq_300/index.htm

Last edited: