Electrical Schematics - Model or Layout Space?

My automotive customers (Ford, GM, FCA) required option #2 so they can run their data extraction utilities (maybe paper space was optional, not sure) but that's what I've always used with no complaints.

I have just started a new drawing at work and I would really like to try and use the component tagging proper.

Is there a typical drawing order? for example
1.) materials list
2.) power supplies
3.) plc IN
4.) plc OUT
etc..

The reason I ask this is because I have inserted contactor contacts, but not the controlling coil yet... and it just seems a bit backwards...
Does autocad expect all parent devices in first, and then child components inserted second?

Kind Regards
Will.

Most people layout their drawings in a logical flow of how the cabinet will be designed. There is no real right or wrong way to do it just depends on your industry, customers, etc.

What I do for electrical drawings is create and index page or multiple index pages that tell you what each drawings section is and the index is laid out in a table and can be done in Auto CAD directly or can be done in excel and pulled in by scripting or you can do it the manual way.

Most layouts start with the index pages then go to distribution power starting with the disconnect then distribution blocks or bus and the transformers for voltage like 120 from there 120 service outlets and devices then do to your control voltage and control circuit items like your 120 VAC to 24 VDC power supply or 480 to 24 VDC power supply then your hard wired control circuit.

Then your PC cards and IO and devices connected to them and on and on.

I recommend using line references for your wire numbers and make wire numbers through each device be sequential off that line reference number. (Be careful with Auto CAD Electrical auto numbering it works well but can make mistakes so don't short change on the manual check and review before you go to far.)

I also recommend making the line reference major number line up with your physical page number. Also in your title block detail pages in the drawing set so page 10 of 62 even on your cover page and drawing index pages.

Towards the back of your drawings include reports and notes such as cable and wire type, length and size reports, Terminal lists and helpful info such as dip switch settings for cards and devices, parameter settings for devices, IP address settings and ranges, Node numbers,etc.

Always show terminals on your drawings as well as fuse sizes when adding a fuse symbol. Fuse info is another good piece of info to have in your reports such as Type, class, ratings, etc.

I also recommend adding the major and minor revision numbers to the drawings on each page and and the project or Job # or whatever you call it if you use one and if you don't use one I recommend it.

I can do this all day but it's turning into a rant so I am going to cut it off here.

This information is invaluable,
thank you all contributors!

I may well post up so drawings soon for review,

Many thanks,
Will.