CompactLogix 5380

tjntjntjn

Hello,

Just want to share my "experience" with newly received CompactLogix 5380. It's the first time I'm going to use this one. (I've been using 5370 for a long time).

When I opened the box I noticed that the controller is missing power terminal blocks, so I started to look for it in the box with no success of course. I thought that maybe I had a bad luck and this one was packed without those terminals. However, after reading the manual I found out that these controllers come without them. They are sold separately. I'm thinking, what a stupid idea is that? Controller needs power to work (right), so why not sell them together, so when I receive one I'm ready to work. Charge me a little more if needed but give me all I need in one box. (Inputs modules 5069-IB16 came the same way - no terminals)

I would like to know what is your opinion on this. (selling controller with no power terminals).

Thanks

Yea, that got me a couple times, even after I knew it I forgot again. But, it makes sense with two choices of terminals, screw or spring. Now I have a couple extras in case I forget again. Yes, they are pricey for what they are.

Edit, another reason for terminals not included: if you’re using the -IY4, you can choose CJC or not depending on if you’re using thermocouples.

Another edit: Screws are the correct choice. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I know it sucks. The kit part number for that is : 5069-RTB64-SCREW or spring .

Let's file a consumer protection lawsuit against AB.

Doesn't that seem to be the way for everything anymore. Especially in software where the thing you need is only in the Premium edition.

I was told once by a manager of a large theme park that the key to profitability there is to cut services until the consumers just start to get vocal about it and stop there. Don't reverse course, just leave it there. A small constant stream of complaints is right where you need to be. Seems he was right.

This tactic reminds me of farming where you want to stress the crop in some way to make it produce more. Suddenly I'm feeling like a soybean.

I'm actually on AB's side on this one. I mean yes, as an OEM, it's a minor PITA because 99.9% of the times we order a PLC, we also need the terminal blocks. But put yourself in the shoes of anyone else, who is not buying to build new panels but as spare parts/replacement, etc - and they don't need the terminal blocks, and would welcome the cost saving and the reduction in waste.

1756 Control Logix cards have been this way as long as I can remember, it's not a big deal. Same with 1734 Point I/O, which has multiple options for bases and terminal blocks. It's only the 1769 compact I/O that came with terminals by default, and I've thrown plenty of them straight in the bin when replacing cards.

We just set up our ordering system so if I search for a 5069 controller or card, it also returns the terminal blocks in the search results.