Banner Surecross Dx80 multihop

rj061991

Good DayProgrammers.
I have an issue in my banner dx80 multihop..i want to configure the master radio using a third party usb-rs485 converter.. my problem is i cannot establish the communication between my laptop and the modbus master radio..Do you have any idea on how to establish the communication??

Thanks
Remen

I use the Banner USB/485 cable as my all-purpose 485 utility cable because it works so well, it has the FTDI chip set. But if you insist, look at the typical RS-485 comm issues.

1) Software
Have you downloaded the latest version of the comm software from Banner? The version on the CD is never the current version.

2) USB converter

a) Which virtual COM port did it install on ? Does the software have the right port?

b) Does the USB/485 converter work with anything else?

3) RS-485

a) A and B bus driver lines could be backwards. Some manufacturers label one way, others, the opposite. Hooking up backwards will not work but will not damage the drivers.

I think the Multihops use the 485 connection via the M12 connector. You're probably wiring flying leads from the USB/485 adapter's terminal block or even DB-9, which means an adapter cable which means checking and rechecking and testing your own adapter cable.

b) Banner has a 3rd wire signal ground and uses it. Does yours?

c) Do the serial com setup settings match? baud rate, one start bit, parity match. Since I use Banner's cable I've never had to mess with them, but it pays to check.

d) misc
is the radio powered?

we use separate power supply for the multihop radio which 24vdc..the banner have 5 leads..the two leads which ground and vcc are connected to an external power supply.. while the dataa leads a and b.. is connected in the usb-rs485 converter..the serial set up is match, 19200baudrate, parity is none,.This is the first time we will use the usb-rs485 converter..
Here's the picture of my set up.

15778549_1524652090882879_1093125040_o.jpg

Last edited:
Summary thus far:

You don't want to pay the $140 or whatever for Banner's cable and instead substitute a generic cable, but it isn't the plug-and-play situation you anticipated.

I suggest 7 things to check.

Your reply is to re-state that it isn't working, with no exhibition of an effort to work through the list of things to check.

You have to understand that your desire to save the $140 has to be offset by your willingness to work through a solution, step-by-step, which you haven't done.

I won't subsidize your desire to save money with an extended effort on my part to coach you through one check after another. Maybe someone else with more sense of 'enabling' will step in and be a coach.