A-B 1784-U2DHP USB to DH+ mini review

Operaghost

I just got this thing late last week and have been using it a little bit.

First impressions are that it is an easy enough connection. The USB device becomes a COM port (COM5 on my PC) and the RSLinx U2DHP driver needs to know which COM port.

I had to go dig into the Windows Device Manager to verify the COM port. Also, I noticed for some odd reason the DH+ node number is in decimal instead of octal. You have to enter 63 in the driver config to get Node 77. Hopefully a future rev of RSLinx will correct that.

It has a slide switch to adjust the baud rate between 57/115/230K. I really like the standard USB connector. I can plug in a USB extension cable if I need a longer cable. The unit is a little bulkier than I expected, but not that big.

OG

We just ordered a 1784-PCMK, I wonder if we should send it back and get that device instead...

I am unable to find much on the website about the 1784-U2DHP. Is it available to the public yet?

Thanks,
Paul

How much does it cost ?

How is the performance ?
For RSLinx < v2.5.2 is says you have to install it as a KF2 at 19200 baud.
Does it mean that the performance is comparable to that ?

OkiePC said:
We just ordered a 1784-PCMK, I wonder if we should send it back and get that device instead...

I am unable to find much on the website about the 1784-U2DHP. Is it available to the public yet?

Thanks,
Paul

I would definitely reconsider. The cost for the U2DHP is around $1500. Be aware that the U2DHP is not compatible with older linx. Must be 2.52 (I believe, may be 2.53).

For those who don't know, RA also has a USB version for DeviceNet and one for ControlNet.

Thanks for the info, guys. Mickey's link shows how to use the device with older versions of RSLinx too.

I will get a quote from our distributor.

Paul

I had to go dig into the Windows Device Manager to verify the COM port. Also, I noticed for some odd reason the DH+ node number is in decimal instead of octal. You have to enter 63 in the driver config to get Node 77. Hopefully a future rev of RSLinx will correct that.
This is a good tip, see TN 52843 for more information on this.

Be aware that the U2DHP is not compatible with older linx. Must be 2.52 (I believe, may be 2.53).
It works with older versions, see TN 52848

Another note: it comes with round Mini-DIN connector only, so you can't program classic PLC5s and devices that use 3 pin Phoenix connectors.

Last edited:
It won't do DH485 either, so I think we will continue with the PCMK order since we have a bunch of 5/02 and even some 5/01 processors still around.

Paul

Contr_Conn said:
It works with older versions, see TN 52848

Another note: it comes with round Mini-DIN connector only, so you can't program classic PLC5s and devices that use 3 pin Phoenix connectors.

Wow! I should stop listening to my distributor. Back in February when these items were announced, he told me that they weren't backward supported. And he has been pretty reliable in the past. Glad to see they are.

OkiePC said:
It won't do DH485 either, so I think we will continue with the PCMK order since we have a bunch of 5/02 and even some 5/01 processors still around.

Paul

Actually, for USB to DH485, they have the 1747-UIC USB to DH485 converter. It handles both RS485 and RS232 electrical connections.

Guys,

If I have 6 PLC5/40 daisy chained using DH+ and a workstation with USB port. Can I use this 1784-U2DHP converter at the workstation and go online (RSLogix 5) with the chained PLC 5/40 at the site?

Meaning instead of using 1784-PKTX, we use this to go online.

The cable for 1784-U2DHP is 8 pin mini DIN, we can make a converter to link with the 2 core + shield DH+ blue cable, am I right?

Hope to hear from you guys. Thank you.

Guys,

If I have 6 PLC5/40 daisy chained using DH+ and a workstation with USB port. Can I use this 1784-U2DHP converter at the workstation and go online (RSLogix 5) with the chained PLC 5/40 at the site?

Meaning instead of using 1784-PKTX, we use this to go online.

The cable for 1784-U2DHP is 8 pin mini DIN, we can make a converter to link with the 2 core + shield DH+ blue cable, am I right?

Hope to hear from you guys. Thank you.

Yes, see links below for more info on the subject.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=354793&postcount=6

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=55084

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=375443#post375443

I realize this is an old thread but I recently saw another one posted and got the manual from Mickey's link (thanks bud). I have a 1784-PCMK and a 1747-UIC, I always use the UIC for DH485 which is more common for me because I leave the Siemens 5512 in the PCMK slot (only have one slot on the laptop). So I was interested in the DH+ usb thing, they didn't have one when I bought the PCMK. So I got a price. YOW!!! Over $1500 as previously reported. The Dh485 usb thing is around $200. Why the huge price thing? $1500 for an interface cable, I won't buy one as long as the PCMK is working. I look forward to the day everything is ethernet, my cable bag is HUGE.

Mickey, thanks for the link above given on the pinouts configuration.

But I'm asking if we can use 1784-U2DHP to replace the 1784-PKTX to go online with the daisy chained PLC5/40 (200 - 300m away).

Your answer "YES" is referring to the above question?

Thanks...