1769-l16

RBergmann

Help. Perhaps you can help. I am trying to connect to a 1769-L16 with a USB cable. I’m not having any luck. New program, new controller. After download, I will be able to connect using Ethernet.

In the RSlogix you need to run the virtual back plan driver as well as the USB driver to com with it.
Thanks, I thought I had done that but apparently not. Now I get a message (after much DL activity) that the device is not in the proper mode to update the firmware. The PLC has v20, but my new software only supports v21. Any thoughts?

Along with other manufacturers of PLCs, I do a lot of RSLogix 500 projects, but not too much with RSLogix/Studio 5000.

Last edited:
Thanks, I thought I had done that but apparently not. Now I get a message (after much DL activity) that the device is not in the proper mode to update the firmware. The PLC has v20, but my new software only supports v21. Any thoughts?

Along with other manufacturers of PLCs, I do a lot of RSLogix 500 projects, but not too much with RSLogix/Studio 5000.

try using controlflash to flash the firmware. I just now tried to flash a brand new l71 using the prompt when first connecting over usb, which failed with the proper mode error that you mentioned. I rebooted it and used controlflash and it worked fine.