When to add new battery to Micrologix 1500 Controller?

ShankarS1

When should a new battery be added to the Micrologix 1500?
Should I wait until the low battery light comes on? Or should I just add it now?
Will plugging in a new battery with the controller ON affect the program?

I was not around when the controller was installed, but i think it has been running now for over 6 years.

The main concern is to safeguard the program in the controller. There is no known backup. Efforts are now being made to procure the sofware, in the hope of downloading a copy for backup. However, the software will have to be sourced overseas, so this will take some time.

Thank you