What AB hardware and software do I need?

Bigtime

Started a new job a few months ago that had really no one with plc experience. They have mostly Allen Bradley hardware. Some slc, micro Logix, point IO, and Control Logix from what I’ve seen so far. My question is. Will RS Logix 5000 work for all of these? What do I need for them? Laptop cords etc. the slc plcs don’t have an Ethernet connection. Any recommendations on what to look for? When I worked for companies in the past all this was already established so I didn’t need to worry about it. My boss said he would get me a laptop and whatever need but I’m unsure.

Ohh boy are you in for a ride...

you need RSLogix 500 for SLC and Micrologix. RSLogix 5000 is what you need for versions up to 21 or so and then you need Studio 5000 from there onwards. You also have to check which versions the PLCs were programmed and install those in your laptop.

'Logix 5000' will program Control- or CompactLogix, although it is important to note that starting with software version 21 it was rebranded as Studio 5000. You will need a matching software version for each different major firmware revision that you have in use, although you only need a single license so you should be good on that front (unless perhaps you need access to newer revisions and don't have Tech Connect).

SLC and MicroLogix are programmed with RSLogix 500*. Point I/O you won't have separate software for, it will generally be configured inside your Logix 5000 program.

In terms of cables for SLC and MicroLogix it will depend on how things are configured, but you will almost certainly want null modem cables on hand -- for MicroLogix you want one with the round mini DIN connector (for example AB cable # 1761-CBL-PM02). AB's SLC programming (null modem) cable is 1747-CP3.

It is important to note that if you have a SLC that only has ports configured for DH485 communication, you will need a 1747-UIC adapter.

Since you say the SLC do not have Ethernet that means they are not 5/05; if they are 5/03 then Channel 1 (the RJ45 connector) is DH485 but Channel 0 (the DB9 connector)could be configured for DF1, DH485, or ASCII. A 5/04 has the same options for Channel 0 but its Channel 1 port is DH+.

*MicroLogix 1000 and 1100 can be programmed with the free RSLogix Micro Starter Lite, but since you'll need RSLogix for the SLC anyways I wouldn't bother.

I recommend RSLogix 500 Standard for the SLC and Micrologix. The Starter version is too limiting for a controls guy that does anything more than making backups and disaster recovery. The Lite version won't work with the SLC.

I also recommend this cable if they have SLC 5/03 CPUs and/or and DH485 Panelview Standard HMIs. If there are Panelview Standards, you will also want a copy of Panelbuilder32 which, last I checked, requires a phone call to a supplier and they have to special order the key.

https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1747-uic-usb-to-dh485/

If there are SLC 5/04 CPUs and/or DH+ networks, then there'$ another expensive cable or gateway device you're gonna need.

In any case, get one of these too for serial comms along with the Micrologix programming cable for serial connections:

https://www.plccable.com/usb-to-rs232-plc-programming-cable-special-plctalk-net/

https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-micrologix-cable-serial-1761-cbl-pm02-90-deg-end/

I definitely endorse the cables from plccable.com.

If you have some SLC 5/04s that have their COM ports encumbered and need to connect via DH+, I would avoid AB's USB-DH+ adapter (U2DHP). In my experience, they're very expensive, very delicate, and non-repairable. After the 2nd failure, we ended up using a ProSoft Ethernet/DH+ gateway. It shows up in RSLinx via Ethernet and "just works". Last I checked, they were cheaper than the U2DHP too. Biggest downside is that they need an external power supply.