Virtual HMI software

flopflip

hi there.

I'm looking for a software that allows me to simulate a HMI and connect it through Modbus to a PLC. For now i'm using Citect Scada/HMI evalution version, but it has the 15 minutes limit.

I just need a simple virtual HMI that allows me to read and write some bits and words using Modbus, nothing fancy.

Anyone knows any software that i can use for this?

Thanks in advance for the possible help!

Last edited:
Quite a few HMI vendors have something that you can use for this. For example, I can test our Siemens WinCC Flexible HMIs as a virtual HMI. However, WinCC Flexible software costs around about the same as a small Citect licence, so there is no money to be saved there.

I have seen some software known as Lintouch that is an open source SCADA/HMI system, and it is setup for using Modbus.
http://lintouch.org/news/

I downloaded it about a year ago, but haven't tried it out yet, so I don't know how well it works.

BTW, if anyone has used it, what do you think of it?

FactoryPMI would satisfy that requirement. You'd have to install KepServer Ex and an SQL database, but it can all get installed at the same time. All software that isn't free has a resettable 2 hour runtime demo (development packages are unlimited).

What are your exact requirements? Are you just looking to toggle bits or do you need an HMI for testing/development?

http://www.inductiveautomation.com/downloads/

I'd be happy to help you set it up if you want - as long as you have a decent Internet connection. Send me a PM if you're interested.

flopflip said:
hi there.

I'm looking for a software that allows me to simulate a HMI and connect it through Modbus to a PLC. For now i'm using Citect Scada/HMI evalution version, but it has the 15 minutes limit.

I just need a simple virtual HMI that allows me to read and write some bits and words using Modbus, nothing fancy.

Anyone knows any software that i can use for this?

Thanks in advance for the possible help!