Text/email relays

jjwitty

I tried the click plus PLC to send emails today but could not get it to work over my network. I need a mass alert when a temperature reaches a certain level? Is there another option that isn’t battery powered? Preferably 24vdc and WiFi capable ?

My go to set up for email alerts is a Red Lion HMI or Data Station + VPN Router + AuthSMTP account. There is a higher hardware cost than some options but a big time savings getting it working reliably. If you only need a single email alert for one condition then it is probably overkill.

I set up one of these to send out texts if alarm levels are reached. Works pretty well, even though mobile signal isn't great in the area. I can't remember what the limit is on the amount of phone numbers it can store, but you can set up custom texts with delay intervals and even set it up so you can change some parameters via text message if needed. Also has an event log if required.
The one we have just has four relay inputs which does what we need. I also set up a PLC based web page which can be accessed through the company VPN from home because one of the channels has a master alarm for 40 different temperatures.

The Teltonika 4G Routers I use have a couple of options. They have a digital input that can be used to send emails and/or SMS messages. Or they can be a Modbus TCP Master and perform actions based on Modbus TCP data received. Here is a wiki page showing a Router reacting to a digital input from a UPS:
The RUTX09 that I generally use should be about $300.
The RUTX09 doesn't have Wifi, but it does have a Wan Ethernet port with failover from Mobile signal.

I set up one of these to send out texts if alarm levels are reached. Works pretty well, even though mobile signal isn't great in the area. I can't remember what the limit is on the amount of phone numbers it can store, but you can set up custom texts with delay intervals and even set it up so you can change some parameters via text message if needed. Also has an event log if required.
The one we have just has four relay inputs which does what we need. I also set up a PLC based web page which can be accessed through the company VPN from home because one of the channels has a master alarm for 40 different temperatures.
I could not get it to work.

I was informed today there was some type of SMTP block on the IPs I was trying to use. I don’t know how to explain it but they said they removed the firewall.

FYI SMTP through a business network is always going to be unreliable for the simple reason IT departments periodically move them around. They'll never tell you beforehand because they don't track who is using them; they just figure whoever needs it will complain.

SMS is your most reliable option. If you must use SMTP, I recommend setting up your own SMTP relay & POP3 server (it's not as hard as it sounds -- a raspberry pi can do it), and then connecting your email client to that as a separate account. However, unless you configure your relay to connect to another relay with internet service you'll only receive these mails while you're connected to your network.

If you still decide to go through the business network, set up periodic heartbeat emails so you know its still connected -- and don't filter them into spam.

FYI SMTP through a business network is always going to be unreliable for the simple reason IT departments periodically move them around. They'll never tell you beforehand because they don't track who is using them; they just figure whoever needs it will complain.

SMS is your most reliable option. If you must use SMTP, I recommend setting up your own SMTP relay & POP3 server (it's not as hard as it sounds -- a raspberry pi can do it), and then connecting your email client to that as a separate account. However, unless you configure your relay to connect to another relay with internet service you'll only receive these mails while you're connected to your network.

If you still decide to go through the business network, set up periodic heartbeat emails so you know its still connected -- and don't filter them into spam.
I was close to using a arduino because I saw online someone configure a push button to trigger emails. I worry the Arduino or Raspberry Pi would not be rugged enough for the type of environment I work in. It’s an oil bottling facility and it’s hot, everything is coated in oil eventually.

I was able to get the PLC to send emails through the WiFi network at work but only when using google email. I couldn’t send to my work server or send from it.