Sorting posting by PLC type

mjamil

I am a user of Siemens PLCS.

I am not a regular visitor of this site, but whenever I am here, I click mostly

* Postings that are related to Siemens
* Postings that I am currenly searching, any particular topic, equipment, etc.

How about if there was a selection "pull down menu" to select which PLC the post is related?

It has been discussed before if there should be some kind of separate forums for individual PLCs or types of topics.
I think that the simplicity of this forum is part of the reason why it works so well.
On other forums with separate sections I see that the less popular sections seems to get "orphaned" a bit.

i like this format..Mostly due to the fact that i see things i would not see if i stuck to one brand. I mostly use Modicon with a little AB but after scrolling thru the boards i come across some tid bits for Siemens, AD etc, etc.

If you only come here to fix a problem that you have your system works..however if you come to browse then this system works..

am i making sence??

I agree with mjamil!

This forum should be firstly split into different PLC vendors (Mits, Siemens, AB, etc.).

Like you mentioned, :'however if you come to browse then this system works..'.
I think most come here to post a question/problem about a specific vendor/ plc type. The people who know more about a specific product would usually stick to one vendor forum. Obviously if you want, you can always have a browse around.

I think sorting by vendor would make this site MUCH easier to read.....

I prefer the current system, but then again I'm a browser.

Righ now I use brands x and y, but in the future I may use brand z, and perhaps remember something I read here, that will help me out.

Also what about the non-brand specific questions, such as wiring or instrument selection?

I vote to keep it as is, is you prefer a board divided by brands give this one a try LINK

I much prefer the way it is now.

If I need to, I can use the handy 'Search' function for specific PLC's, but having all in one forum gives a lot more exposure to topics.

Also, many questions aren't really specific to a single PLC, even though they may be asked with regard to a specific brand/model. The amount of real-life experience here, and the different manners of approaching problems are amazingly helpful. I think that interaction would be lost by splitting up the forum.

I agree, I also prefer the current setup. Although I only work with Siemens at the moment (and in Germany it's likely to remain that way) I still like to look at the discussions involving other models, because in the end the underlying principles are the same. And who knows, one of these days I may just happen to fall over an AB or (more likely, over here) a Modicon system.

If you did break it up according to PLCs then a lot of the general process or drive discussions (like Ron B's excellent PID descriptions) would be missed, simply because they got lumped in under the "wrong" PLC.

I like the blended setup better myself however if there was a place to select the Manufacturer the post was refering to (Including non specific) and a way to bring up a display of only that topic I can see where it would be sometimes useful.

Unregistered said:
I like the blended setup better myself however if there was a place to select the Manufacturer the post was refering to (Including non specific) and a way to bring up a display of only that topic I can see where it would be sometimes useful.

That was me, somehow my "Remember Me" forgot.

If it ain't broke ......

I much prefer the current system.

First of all, it only takes a second to see if you are really interested in a thread.

Second, answers on technique in A-B may also indicate a successful strategy that can be implemented with only the needed syntax changes in another brand.

Finally, a lot of the questions are related to field devices and control strategies and not actually to the ladder logic or a specific PLC.

Of course, I may just be an old curmudgeon with high resistance to change.

I too like the current structure. To me, no matter whatever the brand is, they are still the same thing: PLCs. I do not see why the different product companies should be placed in seperate section. With everything in one cool section, you can learn new knick knacks on other products as well the finding solution to your present problems.

It just comes to my mind; even if the brands are seperated in different sections, there will still be 'blur' peeps who may post a thread on e.g: "AB SLC5/03 help" in the Omron section or vice versa.:oops:

regards
Sherine T.

I agree, it works better as is. For those who want to see the results of splitting into different brands, go to "MrPLC.com". The proof is in the pudding.

I do like the way it is for the simple reason is that, I do hasve contact with brands that I don't use a lot and I have learned tons of tricks and tips from the way the forum is now.Also what works one way for one brand can be used in another brand.
Regards,
Tom

The current setup gives this forum a sense of community not found anywhere in the virtual gatherings.