SMS messaging from an Omron CJ2M-CPU31

BobB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone done SMS messaging from an Omron CJ2J-CPU31 PLC? If so could you help please. Omron here in Oz have not had any experience doing this and are unable to assist.

Hey Bob,
You have a couple of options, depending on if the device has internet access. If you ave internet access you could sign up for an email - sms service and have the plc email the alarms. Alternatively using a GSM modem connected via serial, and using "AT" commands to send the SMS.
If your after a GSM modem try ESIS they'll have something suitable.

Concur with chelton, need more info really.
There are many ways to achieve it, all depends on what the method of generating the sms is going to be.

Thanks to you both. Omron have an FB for doing this but only for the CP2E-N and another CP PLC. I will have a look at this again over the weekend,

They might have an FB, but what about the hardware required?
Sending serial strings is very easy, but the bulk of it comes down to the message generator (modem/cell phone/text2email)

There is a manual on how to set it all up - will have a look this afternoon.