Slow to go online (1756-L63 / 1756-EN2T)

BradBross

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Everyone,

I frequently visit the site for great info, but this is my first time posting here. I apologize in advance for any newbie mistakes I make. I also apologize if this topic has already been discussed in another thread. I tried to search thoroughly before posting.

My question is in regards to going online with a ControlLogix processor. The issue is the speed with which I can get online via ethernet. It takes well over 5 minutes to go online with the processor IF an upload isn't necessary; 10-15 minutes if an upload is required. Originally, I thought the issue was related to the plant network, but after trying a direct connection the problem persisted.

===============================================
Processor: 1756-L63 (v20.04)
Comm Module: 1756-EN2T (v 4.001)
Driver: Ethernet Devices & Ethernet/IP (No difference in speed with either)
===============================================

Ive have had a simmilar issue before.

It turned out that some periodic tasks were overlapping, causing almost no overhead for the communication.

You can use the task monitor tool to check for this.
Or just take a look (Once you finally get online) in the minor error logs. This will usually state which task is overlapping.

You will have to increase the interval in which the periodic task is executed...
BUT, use caution when doing so... there might be a reason that some code is scanned often.

I “think” I had something similar years ago with a CompactLogix. Going from very old memory, I need to compile the .ACD file and re-flash the controllers firmware and download.

I have seen this happen if a module's RPI is set too fast ...

I would not recommend going below 10mS unless, of course, you have to.