RSLogix v20.01 corrupt file (sort of)

In that case, can a ACD file that has been corrupted to that extent be trusted not to have problems in other areas?

Yes, because the program is running in the online processor and has been tested, but it is the file that is corrupt.
Thanks for the help. We'll keep looking and maybe someone else has some ideas.

One last thing, can you export the comments and tag descriptions out of the corrupt file and re-import them into a fresh uploaded file from the processor?

Comments and descriptions export and import fine without causing the crash. Unfortunately that doesn't help us.

Its running in the processor that can be uploaded to a fresh file, you can get comments and descriptions to import, but that isn't satisfactory? Please re-post here what ends up being the final solution, it should be interesting.

Guys, I decided to load this into a V20.04 install on an XP VM and it actually showed the error message this time.

===============================================================================
Thu Dec 31 11:48:03 2015

Fatal Error!

Application Path: C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\ENU\v20\Bin\RS5000.exe
Elapsed execution time: 2 minutes & 21 seconds

Version: V20.04.00 (Release)

OS Version: Windows XP 32-bit (Service Pack 3 - Build 2600)
Thread Id: 000013b4 (5044)

Error 0xc0000005 (-1073741819)

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION - An "access violation" exception was generated.

One project file is currently open:

C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\PHUZ\DESKTOP\Platform362.ACD
Work Path: C:\Documents and Settings\phuz\Local Settings\Temp\RSLogix5000.Temp\AB_0029\AB_18BE
Time open: 1 minute & 32 seconds

One option is to Export each program as a .L5X (not L5K) and recreate the program in a new "shell" (a new instance of the program the you would import your programs into). Test and verify as you go and this may lead you to where the problem is.

The other option is to delete routines, programs, and tasks until things straighten out. Then re-add the offending routine manually if you have to.

I'm betting that it's something in the controller setup.

One option is to Export each program as a .L5X (not L5K) and recreate the program in a new "shell" (a new instance of the program the you would import your programs into). Test and verify as you go and this may lead you to where the problem is.

The other option is to delete routines, programs, and tasks until things straighten out. Then re-add the offending routine manually if you have to.

I'm betting that it's something in the controller setup.

Can't export as L5X nor L5K.
Controller setup hasn't changed. No routines were added. Only rungs were changed and modified.

So I would remove items until it works again. Can you delete rungs?

I feel your pain, I can't add a rack to my RIO in RSLogix, I have to export to an L5K file, add it manually, and then re-import it.

Well at that point, it's easier just to add the changes back into the last good copy, and then re-qualify. So it looks like that is what they will be doing.

Just being curious, is there documentation on the internet that describes the procedures for the testing and certifying that you've written about here? It sounds simialar to the scrutiny placed on projects I work on that involve safety PLCs and their programs, and safety features in robots (Safemove, DCS, etc).

Working with a customer today and they have qualified a bunch of changes today on this 1756-L73 v20.01. It crashes with a "fatal application error" message. The file itself opens fine, but if you do a VERIFY or try to save it as an L5K (to maybe import it as a new file), it crashes. We tried downloading to the controller with this program and it crashes. Since the program opens, I am hoping to find a way to salvage this program (copying rungs to a new program will not suffice). If we can't salvage the program, they will have to revert to the last good copy, re-add the changes, and re-qualify the system.

Hoping for a resolution!

You need to check with your customer what "qualification" really means.

It may be possible to move up the revision of the modified and qualified program from 20.01 to a later version without the need for re-qualification, which won't involve "copying" rungs. Nothing changes in the application, but it is converted to be used with later software and hardware (flash it).

I had many a "fatal application error" on 20.01, and it wasn't the PLC code, it was the Logix5000 software. Try to make your customer understand that 20.01 was a bit "buggy", and that a straight upgrade to a later revision doesn't actually change anything in the application, it just lets a less buggy application open, and work, with it.

Addendum - I would recommend they upgrade anything and everything they have on Rev 20.01 !!!

Last edited: