RSLinx crashes with trying to connect to SLC, deleting Harmony files not helping

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys,

Working on one of my client's systems with SLC processors, earlier today she called me and said she was having comms errors, had a solid red FAULT and flashing green ENET. I had her do the whole short VBB to GND procedure, and I reassigned its IP address in BOOTP/DHCP Server tool.

However, now whenever I try to download the program Logix500 crashes. Similarly, if I try to click on it in RSLinx, that crashes too. I've tried the whole delete Harmony files trick but that has not fixed the situation. Furthermore, new Harmony files are not being created (the folder remains empty).

Not sure what to do now, would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Solid red FAULT is unambiguously an unrecoverable hardware failure, but it's good that clearing the memory allowed the controller's OS to come back up and run DHCP.

Maybe try running RSLinx "as Administrator" ? Or do a reinstall with Administrator credentials.

Versions?
Any error messages?

Logix500 is version 9.00.00, RSLinx is 3.60.00; the error message simply states that RSLinx Classic Communications Server has stopped working; it's a Windows pop up and it happens as soon as I click on the icon of the PLC I'm trying to bring back.

Solid red FAULT is unambiguously an unrecoverable hardware failure, but it's good that clearing the memory allowed the controller's OS to come back up and run DHCP.

Solid red FAULT being unrecoverable hardware failure is what I've seen in other threads discussing similar; does that portend that hardware equipment needs to be replaced? I've also read that the power supplies can be responsible.

Maybe try running RSLinx "as Administrator" ?

Did try that, both with RSLinx and Logix500 and no improvement.

Or do a reinstall with Administrator credentials.

I am downloading Logix500 and RSLinx, maybe upgrading RSLinx could solve the problem.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I think I found my problem. I was deleting Harmony files in the wrong folder. When I searched for them, for some reason the files that showed up were not in the RSCommon folder. Why/how, I don't know but I think that's why RSLinx wasn't acting like I expected. Thanks for the help, and if there is anything still unresolved I'll post on Monday morning.