RSL5k/PVP remote access question

dwoodlock

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

My experience is largely siemens based, so I figured I would consult some local AB guys for this question.

We have a machine that is still supported and serviced by the OEM. Machine has RS5000 controls and PVP1000.

I've not been directly involved with the problem they are experienceing, but from the sounds of it the OEM would like to do some logic review.

They have a technician coming to our facility next week, but he is mechanical. They plan to have him to be the eyes for a programmer at their base of operations.

We dont have RS5000 software because its the only machine we have with those controls, so I am trying to come up with a way for them to dial into the machine remotely.

I have done this before with TeamViewer, but I dont have the RS5K software, so that wont work for this situation.

I was wondering if I could use VNC through the PVP to allow them to connect to the controller, or if that would only extend into the PVP?

We have another machine with a siemens IPC, and we have a VNC server on it, and our OEM for that machine can access the IPC through VNC tunnel adapter.

These are completely different setups as the IPC is the HMI and controller in one, and obviously the PVP and L33 in our AB setup are independent of one another.

Just curious if anyone has any tips for dealing with this situation.

I know you can use VNC to access the PVP, but I havn't seen anything that says you can use it to go beyond the PVP.

Thanks in advance

I should also note that obviously our IT dept probably has the ability to make this an easy situation to deal with, but they are IT.

Last edited:
No, can't do it. You'll have to ask IT.

You can have two Ethernet ports on the PVP, but you cannot bridge the two together to get a pass through.

I am fairly sure they promote that fact as a security benefit; allows safer VNC access to the PVP by isolating the control network side.