RS232/DB9 Tricks and Tips Please

I have so many different machines here at my plant that have different RS232/DB9 cables ( straight thru, null, crossover, special cable ) that I have to make/remake and or buy. I was curious if maybe there is something out there that I can buy that will automatically ( or flip a switch)

Mostly its allen Bradley, servo drives and hmi... but I also have seimens too and omoron , emerson, proface, Yamaha, yaskawa, fanuc, Mitsubishi, ormec.....

Just seeing if someone knows something easier....thank you.

I have a little breakout board that is mounted in a little plastic case. It has a DB25 male on one side, and a DB25 female on the other. Then there are 2 rows of female headers that are all numbered, and a little slot in the side of the case to store jumper wires. You can then just use standard jumper wires to wire any input pin to any output pin. A guy could easily build one for DB9 cables.

This is one of the reasons I'm a big fan of Ethernet enabled devices.

Any time I'm working with a new serial device for the first time, I lose at least half a day trying to connect to it. Usually a full day, if I do something so stupid as use a cable someone gives me that they swear they've already tested and it works fine.

This is one of the reasons I'm a big fan of Ethernet enabled devices.

Any time I'm working with a new serial device for the first time, I lose at least half a day trying to connect to it. Usually a full day, if I do something so stupid as use a cable someone gives me that they swear they've already tested and it works fine.

The truth, the whole truth and noting but...
...character frame....stop bits....parity....speed....dtr...dsr...cts...xoff...dle...etx...bcc...
...NAK :eek:

30 years with serial connections is why I have so little hair left, and such a long nose.

Kalle

I used to have a set of RJ45 to DB9 & DB25 connectors with each connector having its pins swapped about to configure it for that particular connection.

Now I have an Beckman "Easy BOB" Breakout Box.

Which model of easy bob do you have?

It's a Model 775. It had been sitting on the shelf at Randolph Williams for as long as anyone could remember. So I offered Mike $20 for it, and now it's mine. Heck of a deal. :)

Sorry about the delay, I kept forgetting to go into the garage and look it up. :oops:

Oldtimers... :)