RFID DAta & Devicenet

Doc Neale

Hi All,

We are about to add two RFID readers to an AB PLC control system for our non-destructive test equipment. We are planning to use Devicenet enabled RFID readers. In searching for approriate readers I discovered a Dell Computer Co study that looked at switching from bar code readers to RFID readers for their kitting process. In it they make the point, twice, that the RFID data should not be passed on the Devicenet. Reading between the lines I gather they tried passing the data on Devicenet and had problems. Ultimately they passed the data on RS-232 ASCII links to their PLC.

Anyone have any idea why or other cautions about Devicenet enabled RFID readers?

Thanks,

Doc

Not sure what issues or hardware they were using, but I have had several customers use the Omron V600-HAM42-DRT over DeviceNet without any problems. Should work fine with the AB scanner.

Hope this will help.

I would second the Omron suggestion. AB and Omron gear does work well together. I have used Omron PLCs with AB I/O blocks, Powermonitor 3000 devices with explicit messaging etc etc. Have never had a problem, once I worked out explicit messaging.

Have also used Omron PLCs with Pepperl + Fuchs absolute encoders. Also works great after the initial first time set up problems writing new values to the encoder. It was easy once I knew how.

Thanks & a Question

Hi,

Thanks for the input from you all. Our AB supplier and the Enterprise RFID suppier seem to know about the Dell study and feel it is not a problem for us. The OMRON & Pepperl-Fuchs RFID devices were two I was looking at.

I also understand there is a learning curve here. Any special suggestions for first time Devicenet users?

Thanks again

Doc

Cannot help with AB - can with Omron. The AB Device Net configurator looks pretty easy to use, just have not had the chance.

You will probably find that each new device will have address 63 so make sure you set your Device Net scanner to a different address. Then you will have to hook up each device in turn and change the address. Always leave address 63 vacant for new devices.

Doc Neale said:
I also understand there is a learning curve here. Any special suggestions for first time Devicenet users?

Thanks again

Doc

Grow your hair long so you have something to pull out.

Seriously, my first trip to Devicenet land was full of potholes, forks in the road, and signs posted in foreign languages. Once you figure it out it is real easy (I guess brain surgery would be easy for a brain surgeon). Get the manual and read - alot. I added a whole bunch of BCRs with devicenet and it took several days of frustration before I got it. Practice it before you try to put it in service (always good advice but rarely done in practice). The only downfall for me is that once I did all that programming, I haven't been back to it so I doubt I would be of much use if I had to do something with it.

Thanks for your suggestions Bob & Bill. I'll be digging in the manuals.

My Allen-Bradley supplier is suggesting a Cobalt Devicenet RFID module. Anybody heard of these folks?

Thanks

Doc

I think Omron have Device Net RFID. Worth a try as Omron and AB appear to be have about the largest range of Device Net gear and ar probably the largest proponents of Device Net.

I have found their gear generally works very well together.

We've helped some of our customers set up the Balluff RFID systems with DeviceNet. I think they were using SLC processors with DeviceNet scanner cards.

Omron & AB

Hi All,

Thanks for the confidence builders. I'm willing to listen to this other RFID provider but I'm leaning toward the Omron.

Thanks to all who have made suggestions. Now I need to get back in the books.

Thanks again

Doc