program memory size omron vs Siemens

Koenh

Hello,
I'm searching for a comparision between an Omron and Siemens PLC in program memory size.

fe:
Omron CP1L-EM -> 10Ksteps
Siemens S7-1214C -> 50kB working memory

Does anybody knows how to compare these?

Already thanks!

Koenh
Re the omron CP1L_EM the 10K steps refer to the progrom logic not including memory data,details of CP1l specs.

Siemens S7-1214C 50KB memory is shared between program logic and data memory.
CPU 1211C, CPU 1212C and CPU 1214C memory
Up to 50 KB of integrated work memory, with a floating boundary between user program and user data is available. In addition to that, up to 2 MB of integrated load memory and 2 KB of integrated retentive memory are available. The optional SIMATIC Memory Card enables the easy transfer of programs to multiple CPUs. It can also be used to store miscellaneous files or to update the firmware of the controller system with the present design.
Hooey

CP1L_em.PNG

you can't compare as they aren't sized the same way and an identical program on both won't use the same memory space either...You could compare speed or time to execute some fonction etc...To make a real comparison, you would need to program both for the same thing and put it side by side and check for memory usage and speed of scanning etc..

These days, i don't know for Omron but you would need a very very large application to run out of memory like it could happend in the past, it usually run out of i/os before memory. The 1214 is great for a stand alone machine but if you are looking to control a whole plant, you should check for a 300 or 1500 plc.

Hello,

Thanks for the replies!

I have a machine now on a CP1H (number of steps: 15000)
I would like to convert it to a S7-1200 series, but i have no clue how to check wether the program memory is enough or not.

you can't compare as they aren't sized the same way and an identical program on both won't use the same memory space either...You could compare speed or time to execute some fonction etc...To make a real comparison, you would need to program both for the same thing and put it side by side and check for memory usage and speed of scanning etc..
So i need a complete reprogram to check it... This seems a little too much.
Speed does not have any importance because it's a slow machine. When i check, a CP1 plc is slower than a S7-1200 for the LD instruction.

gr

So i need a complete reprogram to check it... This seems a little too much.
You dont have to make the whole program.
Just make an identical small program on both platforms. Then you can extrapolate from what you learn from that. If not 100% precise, it will be good enough to estimate if the program will fit or not.
Remember to post your findings !

Do you know how much space out of the Omron are you using now ? if you fully loaded it you may spend more time to look at it but if the Omron is loaded to 10% i won't be too much afraid.
At worst, if you feel that it will be tight for a 1214, you can use the 1215 with 100k but 50k is already plenty of space for a large program....You can also programme some common block and re-call them instead of copying the same code 25x times.