Proficy Machine Edition Configuring Siemens Analog I/O via Profinet

Ozpeter

I am working with an Emerson CPL410 PLC that is connected to a Siemens AI 8xU/I/RTD/TC ST (6ES7531-7K00-0AB0) via Profinet (and a Siemens Scanner and suitable GSD file of course).

My issue is how to configure an 4 wire PT100 analog input from within Proficy Machine Edition.

This card is an 8 channel, 16 bit analog card. I understand that when wiring it for a 4 wire PT100, each PT100 consumes a pair of channels (EG #0 and #1) - one channel (#1) is used to supply the current to the device and the second (#0) is used to sense the voltage. And the counts will come from the sense channel.

My problem is that in PME when I select channel #0 as being a 4 wire PT100, I can still independently configure channel #1 as any type of measurement input that is supported by the device.

I guess that if I select channel #0 as a 4 wire PT100 that the system will ignore any configuration for channel #1. But that is a huge assumption.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How should I configure channel #1?

And once again I have no physical hardware to test.

Based on your description it sounds like the module should be configured as a mixed analog input/analog output module with four analog in and four analog out rather than as an eight analog in.
I'm not sure how they can get away with calling it an eight channel module if it requires two channels to get one piece of information.

Based on your description it sounds like the module should be configured as a mixed analog input/analog output module with four analog in and four analog out rather than as an eight analog in.
I'm not sure how they can get away with calling it an eight channel module if it requires two channels to get one piece of information.

It all depends on your definition of 8! The card can do 8 independent Voltage/Current/Thermocouple inputs, but only 4 PT100 inputs because it needs to use the current generation of one of the channels to supply the PT100.

But you can't specify an analog output.

I've just noticed that in the drop down list for channel type there is an entry for "Deactivated" (it was hidden unless you scrolled up - which was not obvious to do). I think that this may be the answer I want.