omron CP1L Sysmac enquiry

Hi Guys! I've got good news! I figured out how the counter works as well as the output frequency ports!(y)
I have attached image of the mockup and it works "musically".

The 2 stepper motors were given a different starting speed and when they run, the pitch produced a like to the keys of an electronic keyboard.:p
At first I was confused to why the set value of the counter does not seem to jump, and I came back to examine the tip provided by Bob. Then I found my mistakes: if one function was set using BCDs, all are to follow BCDs; but for some where it is imperative to use hex values, so I changed everything into hex values,and viola! The SPED function is slightly trickier; I first set the port and output mode to #1 but nothing work, so I played a little with and got the response when I set the output mode back to #0.
I wondered what is #1 for output mode refers to..
Anyway, I understand that from this mockup, I will be able to further improve this program. I will post on if I have more enquires.

Thank you Bob and LostControl!!

P.S: the N/C contacts to the counter is due to the fact that my colleague decided that he would want to use N/Cs instead of N/Os.

try02.JPG

Last edited:
The goal and intended actions of the program cannot be clear from this short fragment, however:
- The SPED instruction is in continuous mode.
This means it will never stop generating pulsetrain, unless the port is stopped or another motion command is executed on this port (which is done by applying 0 frequency in the fragment).
- All SPED are of permanent execution format (not differential @SPED format). They will execute in every scan as long as the rung condition is true.
- SPED generates pulsetrain with no acceleration/deceleration. You may want to use ACC instructions.
- The counter is of BCD format and such are all timer/counters in this PLC.
Unless there is a strong reason for this, I strongly suggest to switch the PLC to binary timer/counter mode. BCD remains from the era of thumbwheel switches and 7-segment indicators and I see no benefits of using it otherwise.
- Counter always resets to its set value.

Last edited: