Modicon M258 uploading program error

abdenour

Hey, i'm getting an error when i try to upload a program from a modicon M258 TM258LF42DT using eithernet. i tried using both SoMachine V4.1 and EcoStruxure V2.2 qnd i get the sqme error when i attempt an upload. you can see the error message on the pic i attached here, i think it's related to CodeSys or directory of logic builder files.
if you have any idea why i'm getting this error please let me know.
also i'm only trying to upload the program to go online so i can make the plc go into run mode (it's going to stop mode after startup for some reason, so if there is anyway i can make the plc go into run mode without having to upload the program that would help too.
thank you.

M258 upload error.jpg error message.jpg

Codesys PLCs don't have so called source files if they aren't selected on project for downloading.

Assuming that this error is related to this. You try to upload code but there isn't source on PLC.
PLC have probably now only machine code which cannot uploaded back to your laptop and you need original offline project.

The PLC i was trying to uolpad from is not CodeSys PLC but it's Shneider modicon M258 TM258LF42DT as i mentioned. also i checked the PLC RUN/MS LED nad it is flashing with green.
i checked the manual of the modicon M258 and it looks like it is in stop mode (as you can confirm from the manual pic i attached here) which restricts the communication port and stops the execution of the program (the HMI is not showing the position from the servo motors and VFDs are in communication error state).
will this be the same state if the program is lost.
Thank you so much for your reply and the supoort.

LED Status.jpg

So basically the PLC is now empty and have no project inside that's why i get an error when uploading ?
Shouldn't the RUN/MS LED be single flashing green not flashing green as the manual suggests though.

It should not be empty. When plc code is downloaded to PLC, it is converted first to machine code and that code runs inside there. For uploading original project (source files) should have also downloaded there that it could be later uploaded back to laptop.
Codesys have that disavantage.

Other programming softwares download usually source files automatically to PLC so you don't need to take care of that on other PLC than codesys usually.

Okey i got that part now, it a bit similar to the HMI case where you can't upload the source file and open it on pc to nodify it.
Is there anyway i get the PLC back in Run mode though without having the original project or i must have it to go online and change the controller state.
Thanks for the help

Not sure about that if codesys PLC can changed from stop to run without offline project.
I usually program different platforms than codesys. Allready over year goed when last time modified code to codesys plc.

A follow up on the problem i had.
I contacted the machine provider company and they sent me an offline zip file of the project. The problem i have for now is that the project was made with SoMachine V3.1 and i have V4.1 in my computer, i tried upgrading the project upon opening it and i faced some issues with the DTM libraries as you can see in the attached pic. when opening the LogicBuilder i get question marks on the Servo drives of Kinco and the Altivar 320 vfds as shown in the other pic.
i tried downloading the Kinko serco drives DTM libries online but i couldn't find them.
Can i download the program as it is (with the auestion marks missing the libreries) or will it cause a problem and i have to add the libraries first, qnd if so any idea how to add kinco devices on the device repository?

error message.jpg Drive devices question mark.png

You will need the canopen eds files for those devices. Most manufacturers will have them available for download on their websites

I could download the EDS files of the kinco and add them successfully, i even add the Altivar as EDS although since it's Schneider i think it shouldn't' be but the question marks disappeared so that problem was kind of solved however i still have some errors when building the code which i think they are related to the code itself so i might contact the manufacturer for that.
My major problems now are basically two:
1) the firmware of the M258 in the machine was 2.0.31.40 and after upgrading my project file with somachine (the project was built using V3.1 and i had 4.1 in my pc) i could't download so i attempted a firmware update of the controller using Controller Assistant but after the updated finished with a successful message the plc LED switched off after few minutes and never led on, i attempted to do another with USB but i could't (i tried it with USB before i did with Controller Assistant and couldn't as well).
2) i tried to download the project to another M258 plc (it had an old project in it) that had the same firmware as the upgraded project andi could download it succesfully using multiple Download, i went online and started it and all is good however, whenever i restatrd the machine the plc gets the old project it had before my download idk why ? is there a way to keep it save my new downloaded project or there is something wrong with the plc

2. You need to create so called boot application after program download on Codesys.

Online changes are only writed to RAM automativally if there is no selection for automatic boot application creation on codesys / Somachine.

When PLC starts (power restored) it looks ROM memory and takes plc code there to RAM memory.
(PLC ROM have still old PLC code after online changes to RAM)

As ROM have still this old plc code writed, whenever PLC is booted it takes old code back and all newer changes are forgeted.

https://product-help.schneider-electric.com/Machine%20Expert/V1.1/en/SoMProg/SoMProg/Managing_Applications/Managing_Applications-7.htm

Some PLCs needs RAM to ROM write command from programming laptop. Some PLCs makes this ROM memory update automatically after online changes or new program download.