Login / Logout Macro Problems FactoryTalk View

BillRobinson

Anybody out there seen this?

I have a PanelView in the field that a has 3 user levels (Operator, Supervisor, Manager).

When a manager logs in it calls a macro that writes a string "Manager" to a variable Macros\UserLogedIn.

When a supervisor logs in it calls a different macro that writes the string "Supervisor" to the same variable, Macros\UserLogedIn.

The logout macro for both Manager and Supervisor is the same macro, which writes the string "Operator" to the Macros\UserLogedIn variable.

Managers and Supervisors logout by pressing the Logout Button or by timing out on the auto logoff.

I do this so I can display the user level on the panelview screen.

The setup works fine for the most part but then it randomly stops to work. When it breaks it gives an error message:

Macros\UserLoggedIn = "Manager" failed: unable to write to the tag

The login level is correct because user level functions still work, but i am unable to write to the string variable.

It seems to randomly start to do this, and it has happened on two seperate PanelViews. I am unable to reproduce the problem, but when it breaks it stays broken until i exit the program and re-launch it.

Anybody ever seen something similar to this?

Cheers.

Are you using a PV+? What version?(3.0, 4.0, 5.0) With the PV+, I have seen some problems with string variables that can be intermittent. I worked around the problem by writing integers instead and using the visibility animation on the display to show the string.

I don't know if it's just a typo in your post, but you have two different variable names there (Macros\UserLogedIn and Macros\UserLoggedIn = "Manager"). Might be worth a check.

Oh, and have you not tried using the system\User variable that comes as standard in the PV+ which contains a string with the logged in name?

Last edited:
Are you using a PV+? What version?(3.0, 4.0, 5.0) With the PV+, I have seen some problems with string variables that can be intermittent. I worked around the problem by writing integers instead and using the visibility animation on the display to show the string.

I ended up doing something similar to this, I used Security Functions to check if the user had 'A' security level.

Just as a side note:

I ended up calling Rockwell, and instead of explaining (or admitting) why this simple task wasn't working. They told me that what I was doing wrong and that I shouldn't do it that way. Thanks Tech Support! (y)