IO link compatibility

Denderiin

Hey there friends, recently discovered the world of industrial automation and learned what this fancy PLC can do so i am a super novice. Started in December 2023 with zero experience so right to the point. I have an automation direct productivity 2000 series PLC to practice and learn on, built a little home board to mess with. I am currently on to the stage of IO link and would like to know if in general PLCs take a liking to a certain brand of IO block or if you can manage with any? I notice on automation directs website they really push the stride IO block on ya. I was able to score an IFM 1400 master block really cheap with hope it would work and just wondering if this is the knowledge gap kicking in or if I'm digging into concrete. Thank you taking the time to read and helping me out !

You can use any IO-Link Master but need to ensure the communication protocol is one the PLC can use, which in your case would be Modbus TCP or Ethernet/IP. IO-Link is the protocol from sensor to IO-Link Master. The protocol from Master to PLC is one of the common industrial protocols.

The Stride master is just a MurrElektronik master and ifm is a frontrunner for IO-Link tech, either would work fine.

Okay awesome Thank you, I was able to communicate with the AL1400 using the Moneo software but for parameter settings i could not figure it out. I then tried to use the LR device software which i am unable to communicate with it even after I set an IP for the device. Once I am able to set these parameters, is there a special file I need to upload to the PLC in order for it to work? I know Automation Direct uses an EDS file with the MurrElektronik, I'm not sure if IFM would have an EDS file as I could not find it on their website for that device, I was only able to find some "Start Up" Packages mainly aimed at Siemens.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• IFM_starter_options.png
    IFM_starter_options.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 15
I see a ton of balluff IO link blocks in my area, but I haven't heard of any brands to specifically avoid..

You can use any IO-Link Master but need to ensure the communication protocol is one the PLC can use, which in your case would be Modbus TCP or Ethernet/IP. IO-Link is the protocol from sensor to IO-Link Master. The protocol from Master to PLC is one of the common industrial protocols.

The Stride master is just a MurrElektronik master and ifm is a frontrunner for IO-Link tech, either would work fine.
Talking with a controls guy from work I also overlooked the fact that the AL1400 is Profibus and not Ethernet IP. So It must be time to learn some profibus.

According to your screen shot it's not Profibus, it's Profinet.
"Learning" Profinet won't help you as Allen Bradley does not support/talk Profinet.

"Learning" Profinet won't help you as Allen Bradley does not support/talk Profinet.
He's using AD (Automation Direct) not AB (Allen-Bradley) for his PLC.

Which is not to say that his AD PLC does support Profinet, I've never used one but a cursory search of their website suggests it does not. If it indeed does not, one should recall the words of Ken Roach on the topic of using Profinet IO with a PLC that does not support it…

"Don't do it."

Granted the person he was talking to did, in fac,t end up doing it (using a 3rd party gateway) and was apparently happy with the results, so ymmv.

Lots learned already. However, do they have Profinet modules that allow for Profinet communications? With that said I'll follow the advice of Mr. Ken Roach.
I need to spend more time with general communications, are there any recommendations for where to start? is it worth it to spend time on Profinet or focus on Ethernet IP ? Thanks all for the patience and answers.

Lots learned already. However, do they have Profinet modules that allow for Profinet communications? With that said I'll follow the advice of Mr. Ken Roach.
I need to spend more time with general communications, are there any recommendations for where to start? is it worth it to spend time on Profinet or focus on Ethernet IP ? Thanks all for the patience and answers.
For most applications, most communication protocols are "good enough". I like Profinet, but whatever advantages it may or may not have aren't enough to shoehorn it into an application where the PLC doesn't support it. I'd say the same for EIP or anything else. Obviously, if your customer is demanding it and they are willing to pay for the integration, they hey, nice, feel free to take their money and enjoy the billable hours, but if it's YOUR time, don't go there.

A very brief googling shows the P2000 supporting EIP and Modbus TCP, so I'd recommend focusing on those.

I'd strongly recommend you learn the basics of IP addresses and subnetting. Automation comes into networking backwards, so it's important to understand how the networking actually works. It isn't HARD, as such, but if you don't take the time to understand you'll have many a day banging your head against the wall over something preventable. (You'll still goof up sometimes, we all do, but at least you'll realize your goofs instead of relying on magic)

Talking with a controls guy from work I also overlooked the fact that the AL1400 is Profibus and not Ethernet IP. So It must be time to learn some profibus.
As mentioned, that is a Profinet device. If you swap it for an E/IP device, there is a file specifically for the P2K on ifm's website. I would not waste any time on anything related to Profinet if you're using a P2k, swap it for an E/IP version and move on. E/IP alone will give you enough headaches.