i know three type of input's sources

abdouzita103

im new at Allen bradley rslogix programming;
i have something to ask you guys , and i will be happy to get answers so thank you in advance.
when reading or exploring a program in rslogix there are input sources such as :
* hardware input : like two wires into input card
*software input : like using an output in the program as an input in other rungs.
* other input : like an input you get from communication with another plc for example .
may be there are another inputs i dont know .

my question now is :how to determine which source is that input from the three i mentionned above?
and how to know the exact location of the wires of that input in the input card?
thanks guys

Easiest way to track down a tag's origin is to cross reference.
If you click on a tag name in logic then press ctrl + E or right click and select cross reference.
Then where it says Show All select Destructive. This shows all the places where the tag is written to.
Repeat this process until you find the origin whether it be software, hardware IO or PLC messaging.

For tracking down what the hardware IO is tied to you can also use cross reference. On the IO tree on the left hand side of Studio/Logix5000. Right click on an IO card and cross reference. Then click on By Tag at the bottom of the new window. It will display what tags each IO is tied to if using aliases. If not using aliasing, then the first method above will work.

Last edited: