How to test plc program in new Rockwell Software Studio 5000 v28?

I plan to use new 5580 processor in my next project. This is because of I want to try features of new hardware, such as subroutines with "add-on" functionality, built-in ethernet port and etc. I am very disappointed of information you talked about :(

Maybe better to just check with your local rep to see what functionality is limited. Ensure that what you want to do is available.
I would assume that the built-in ethernet port is ok, not sure what else you expect to use.

I was talking to my guys about the 70 series because we had an application here that I need to get a new processor, they never gave specifics to me, but then I have no special needs in my application.

Can I ask why you are using the new processor?

I was talking to some Rockwell guys yesterday, and they said that the 80 series does not have all the functionality available yet, and it is primarily aimed at the fast-moving manufacturing industry, when all the features are opened up.
No real benefits over the 70 series as of yet.

Huh? Up to 20x performance increase vs 5570, 25% more memory model-to-model, faster comms, and having a built-in Ethernet port are certainly beneficial. To the last point, no Ethernet bridge card requirement means simpler network communication with the unit (you just need an IP address, no knowledge of the chassis / slot number, and don't have to worry how many CIP connections are being burned by processors sharing a bridge), more space for more processors, and so on. If needed (our plant), physically migrating or expanding an Ethernet/IP-exclusive control system just got much easier. Pluck processor -> place somewhere in newly built chassis/enclosure -> plug into network -> profit.

Last edited:
sorry, should have compared, £4240 for the L71 and ENBT, which is what I require.

Yes, but your comparing an L71 with an L83. I.e. your comparing Apples with Oranges!

If you compare an L73 + EN2T to an L83, the L83 is a little cheaper than the L73 +EN2T, as was shown in the Automation Blog:
http://theautomationblog.com/price-comparison-1756-l8-vs-1756-l7/

Of course the L71 would be cheaper, it has far less memory than an L73/L83 (2mb vs 8mb/10mb). Now in your case you don't need the memory of an L73 or L83 for that matter so there is no need to use the L8 series, but when you need an L73 or L75 it makes sense to migrate to the L83 or L85. I'm sure in the near future Rockwell will launch the L81, L82 and L84 to complete their range.