HMI Design System Documentation

AMarks95

Hello All,

This is not a PLC question per-say, but I'm looking to see what you've found to effectively document a design system that is to be used across all company programs.

We are an integrator with multiple programmers. Our current "standards" are (poorly) documented in a Word Doc and it's quite cumbersome and clunky. I fear that a reorganization may only help so much.

I've seen tools like Figma and Notion be used together for Web and Mobile development. These tools might be helpful with Ignition, but I don't know if these tools would be relevant to more "traditional" HMI software as these tools may be Web/Mobile specific (I've not actually used Figma, Notion, or any related software myself).

I just know there has to be a better way than documenting every property for each type of component in a Word Document.
What tools do you guys use to efficiently organize all of this information?

Or, do you just have one "master" template for each HMI software that has every component, configured as it should be, that gets updated as needed?

In something like FactoryTalk, build global objects with placeholders that match UDTs & AOIs. Import these into every new project as needed.

Add notes inside the pages the objects are on if needed.

Onenote is pretty simple and easy. Not perfect, but works well for keeping a running dialog of what you're doing and it's cheap, and everyone has it.