Health of producer consumer link

david90

I have two ControlLogix PLC talking to each other using producer and consumer model. Is there a way to monitor the health of comm. link?

Several ways, but easiest depends on revision levels of your controllers.

Latest revisions (I think it is V19 and upwards), allow you to attach "Connection_Status" to the produced tags, which you can monitor in the consumer(s). It also transports the operational mode, so you can be sure the producer's data is valid (i.e. the processor is in RUN mode.... Producers continue to produce their tags even if the processor is in Program, or Faulted, modes.

Your original post was about Produced/Consumed Tags between ControlLogix, but that example is for MSG instructions between a PLC-5 and ControlLogix.

There are different methods for monitoring the success or health of each method.

In the Produced/Consumed Tags, you can use a GSV instruction to check the Module Object status (old style) or use the automatically-created connection status tags (new style).

When using MSG instructions, the /DN or /ER bits give you information on the success or failure of the message.

ken, I got confused and posted my questions in the wrong thread. I'll make a new thread regarding my PLC-5 to controllogix question.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned,

female-visible-heartbeat-o.gif

but I like to check for a heartbeat. ;)

Is there a way to know if a produced tag is being consumed from the PLC that produces the tag perspective?

You can do some diagnostics indirectly using the embedded Web page of the 1756-ENxT module, but there's no programmatic way I know about to tell if a Produced tag has an active Consumer connecton.

Besides producer/consumer method, is there another way for two controllogix PLCs to talk to each other?