FSGateway vs DASABCIP

akirajunto

Hi,

I am designing a control system using Allen-Bradley ControlLogix PLC with Wonderware Intouch as the HMI.

I have done this before using DASABCIP for the PLC-HMI communication. I did it with about 10,000 tags on the HMI.
The result was ok on overall, but I had some troubles when adding some new tags on the system. The DASABCIP did not add the new tags as soon as I updated the HMI and PLC with the new tags.

I am now considering to use FSGateway instead of DASABCIP. I tried using FSGateway for a couple tags, the FSGateway read the PLC data through RSLinx. It worked fine, but sometimes the tags can only be read, not written.

Does anybody have experience using FSGateway for ControlLogix - Wonderware?

This time, I would probably use around 2000 tags for the whole control systems. With multiple controllers.

Which is better for this application? Is it FSGateway or DASABCIP?

If you've already purchased Intouch with the IOServers option (i.e. you can run DASABCIP) then I'd go with that. Otherwise you'll need to pay for RSLinx as well on top of that. To me, it also seems like adding another link in the chain which could be a failure point. If you use Intouch->DASABCIP->PLC then it's one less thing to go wrong compared to Intouch->FSGateway->RSLinx->PLC

I've seen Intouch not actually attempt to request data for a new tag until that tag is used in a window or script or something like that. Normally just putting it on a screen somewhere and Re-initializing IO will get it working. That's in "classic" Intouch though not Archestra.

I would only use FSGateway if you need to read write- the Intouch Data via a 3rd party OPC server. For PLC communication i would stick to using an IOServer which supports multiple drivers.

Depending on the size of your plant. Stick to DASABCIP. For bigger plants with loads of IO try Kepware or Topserver.