Factorytalk View ME 5.0 Tag Dialog Missing

mhuntwork

Hello everyone,

I am having a strange problem. When I click the "Tag" button when I want to assign a numeric string or animation condition the dialog does not come up and I lose control of the program. If Ctrl+F4 I will regain control of the program but I cannot get the Tag dialog to come up at all.

Has anyone had this before?

I am out of the office and, of course, do not have the disks with me and have to be on site for a startup in a few days and need to get my programs done. I am going to attempt a repair over vpn by having the disk source copied to the network but I assume that it will not help.

Thanks!

I have had similar problems with ME 4.0. Some of the menu bars would not refresh the graphics, and dialog boxes would pop-up blank. A reboot of the machine corrected it on my machine, but I expect you already tried that...

Yeah, this has been a problem for a few days now. I am working around by just typing the tags in manually and copying and pasting from the logix5000 tag database but that is going to be error prone.

I have tried removing the comm setup and re-associating the ACD file with no luck. The repair did not fix anything either.

It is a rather small program so I will get by but I am concerned that this may be a symptom of a larger problem and that I will run into a bigger problem in the field where I have limited time to get this system making product.

Oh, where is the Pepcid....

I find it easier and faster(when displaying data) to access the PLC address directly, rather than going through the tag database...

Also, the tag database adds to the application size....

I have had wierd things like this happen with various programs when the PC Resources get low because I have too many things open, or a program did not release them back to the Operating System properly. A reboot will normally solve the problem. Have you got lots of RAM in your machine, lots of Hard Drive space?

Stu......

Ha! Now that you mention it, it is pretty obvious. I sure wish Rockwell weren't so stingy with kb support - I can't see that answer. Not really a problem though. I just need to find a window manager app for XP like back in the bad old days. Thanks!

Here is the text:

33914 - RSView Studio Tag Browser window not appearing. RSView Studio is not showing theTag Browser window, but all indications are that it is open or that it is locked up.

RSView Studio Tag Browser window not appearing

Problem:
RSView Enterprise/ FactoryTalk View Enterprise is not showing the Tag Browser window, but all indications are that it is open

Cause:
1) User has moved the window to the edge of the viewable screen area, closed RSView Enterprise and then changed the screen resolution to something smaller (such as taking a laptop out of its docking station).
2) Switched from dual monitors to a single monitor and the tag browser was on the
second display and now that you are on a single display the tag browser is off display.

Verify:
Open the Tag Browser window (system will appear to lock), hit the Tab Key twice (once if in v5 of the software) and then hit enter. If you can now interact with the system, the problem is the location of the window.

Cure:
** THE FOLLOWING STEPS INVOLVE CHANGES TO THE REGISTRY **
** BE SURE TO BACKUP THE REGISTRY PRIOR TO ANY CHANGES **
** INCORRECT REGISTRY CHANGES CAN CAUSE THE OPERATING SYSTEM AND/OR SOFTWARE TO BECOME UNSTABLE **

** THESE STEPS ARE FOR USE WITH VERSION 4.0 and greater of RSView Studio Machine Edition **

You can reset the location by closing RSView Studio and then deleting the following registry key that controls the position:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rockwell Software\RSView Enterprise\2.0\Tag Browser

I feel like a bonehead for not recognizing this so I will at least try to leave a little value in ending this thread -

I used ForceWindowVisible, a freeware standalone .exe, to restore this window. Probably a nice tool to have if you dual screen off your docking station in XP like I do.

Thanks. I guess that the freeware app I have just goes into the registry and deletes that key for whatever window that is selected so that it reappears at 0,0.

Interesting. I will have to test that in Win 7.