Controls Jobs in Asia?

bobwithdana

I have 30 years experience in Electrical Engineering currently working as a Controls Engineer for a large company making 6 figures. At 55 years of age I am about 7 years from retirement and would like to retire in Asia. Preferable the Philippians’, Thailand, or China. I suppose am not alone. Would be willing to work for 30K to 40k a year. Any ideas as to if and what jobs might be available?

Thanks Bob

Hi, look around the us and identify large companies that are closing plants and relocating to asia. Identify if you want to work in that industry, and send in your resume.

All sorts of firms in china now... pharma, tyres, rubber and plastics, printing, the list is endless.

Remember the chinese work cheap, and are learning fast (for now) so it is hard to get a placment when they can pay 20 locals for one of you.

Why not target the same industry you are in?

I enjoy living in Asia! I second CJD's idea - finding a US firm operating overseas is probably your best bet. The local economies of the PI and Thailand are abysmal - we foreigners exploit that cheap labor and you don't want to compete against it directly.

You might also consider: Korea, Japan, or Malaysia with China on your secondary list. Living isn't as cheap but you may find high paying employment.

It wouldn't take much of a nest egg to retire in the Philippians or Thailand if you have a relatively meager income flow on an investment.