connect to compact logix remotely using cellular aircard

flash053069

Hello everyone. I am building a control panel with a compact logix L35E and a Panelview plus 6 1000. Can I support this remotely if my client connects to the local switch in this panel with his laptop directly with an cable and his laptop has an aircard?

Yes and no... Yes, you should be able to connect to his PC using VNC, RPC, etc., and his local LAN connection should provide access to the L35E and PV6. No, in that the cell connection will not automatically route to the LAN. However, you can setup virtual routing software that will allow this.

Best bet is to buy a remote access cell device/router. **** has worked pretty well for me thus far.

You will be adopting an added role as your customers IT Guy doing it the way you suggested. It will be cheaper for the customer on paper but WAY more expensive for you down the line.
Really bad idea IMHO.

Agree with GTUnit. **** is a good option. **** is set up such that the connection from the unit is outbound from the facility where your control panel is installed. This helps with the local IT issues with inbound connections ( firewall,..etc..)and it uses commonly used ports like 80 and 8080. This way, you may use the facility LAN instead of a cellular aircard and even if you do use a cellular aircard, you will not need a static IP ( which typically costs more).
Also, the remote server based connection is via a VPN so there is a bit more security.

Another option is netbiter which I'm still learning more about. They seem to have remote access and a data hosting service for remote screens.

Both vendors include an account on their server with the purchase of the hardware module with something like 1GB of data a month.

Last edited: