Can AB powerflex 525 connect to SIEMENS simatic S7-1200 ?

jackie114

Hi, all. We have one AB drive (powerflex 525) and one SIEMENS plc (simatic S7-1200). Is it possible to make a connection between them via Ethernet?

If it is, how? Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Hi,

The quick answer is 'no' to a direct Ethernet connection between these two devices.

PROFIBUS DP-V1 is one option, but you will not only need the DP Master Communication Module CM 1243-5 for the S7-1200(JesperMP's link), you will also need the PROFIBUS DP-V1 Communication Adapter 25-Comm-P for the PowerFlex 525.

Another option, perhaps less expensive?

JesperMP said:
S7-1200 supports Modbus TCP, so if the Powerflex 525 also supports Modbus TCP, you are set.

I've used one PF525 since they came out and they only support Modbus RTU Slave, not Modbus TCP. But, they support Modbus RTU directly from the RS485 DSI port. So you would not need a Communication Adapter to use this protocol.

I've used four S7-1200 lately and yes they support Modbus TCP, but they also support Modbus RTU Master/Slave. To add Modbus RTU to the S7-1200, you can use a Communication Board CB 1241 RS485. Communication Boards are smaller than Communication Modules and are installed in the expansion port on the front of the S7-1200. CB's are also less expensive than CM's.

In TIA Portal, after you have added the CB in Device configuration, you use the MB_COMM_LOAD instruction to configure the point-to-point(PtP) port parameters like baud rate, parity, and flow control.

As the PowerFlex 525 can only act as a Modbus RTU Slave, you have to configure the S7-1200 as a Modbus RTU Master.
You use the MB_MASTER instruction to enable the CPU to act as a Modbus RTU Master.

I've only used Ethernet/IP for comms on the PowerFlex 525 so far, and have no comms setup on any of the S7-1200 so far. So I have no direct experience with how that particular Modbus RTU network would perform.

EDIT: dmargineau, I didn't see your post, that could be another viable option.

G.

Last edited: